Just connected my RPi and tried to connect it to the internet with a few issues. Some guidance or help would be very much appreciated.
Issue (1) - Connecting via a LAN cable
- I can ping IP addresses & resolve DNS (i.e. I can ping 126.96.36.199 and www.google.co.uk with response)
- But when I run the desktop (startx) and launch Midori, I can't load any pages (e.g. www.google.co.uk)
- It doesn't seem to be able to resolve via DNS
- So at command prompt level, I seem to have connectivity (with DNS), but on the browser, nothing
Issue (2) - Setting via USB WiFi
- I followed one of the Raspberry Pi tutorials (setting up your RPi wireless network)
- apt-get update doesn't seem to work, it questions whether I'm logged in as root?
- Do I really need to log in as root, or is there another problem?
- However, I can search for the WiFi adapter (apt-cache search RaLink), and then install the driver
- But when I create the wpa.config file, I note it specs WPA encryption, my router uses WEP
- Does anybody know how to change this for WEP instead?
- I suspect this is my issue, as when I follow through with the tutorial and restart networking, it fails
- I get lots of "No DHCP offers received"