ChrisRayner

Connectivity with the Internet

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Just connected my RPi and tried to connect it to the internet with a few issues. Some guidance or help would be very much appreciated.

Issue (1) - Connecting via a LAN cable
- I can ping IP addresses & resolve DNS (i.e. I can ping 8.8.8.8 and www.google.co.uk with response)
- But when I run the desktop (startx) and launch Midori, I can't load any pages (e.g. www.google.co.uk)
- It doesn't seem to be able to resolve via DNS
- So at command prompt level, I seem to have connectivity (with DNS), but on the browser, nothing

Issue (2) - Setting via USB WiFi
- I followed one of the Raspberry Pi tutorials (setting up your RPi wireless network)
- apt-get update doesn't seem to work, it questions whether I'm logged in as root?
- Do I really need to log in as root, or is there another problem?
- However, I can search for the WiFi adapter (apt-cache search RaLink), and then install the driver
- But when I create the wpa.config file, I note it specs WPA encryption, my router uses WEP
- Does anybody know how to change this for WEP instead?
- I suspect this is my issue, as when I follow through with the tutorial and restart networking, it fails
- I get lots of "No DHCP offers received"

Thanks
Chris

ChrisRayner

Re: Connectivity with the Internet

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Issue 1 now fixed. It was the USB hub. Once I connected the keyboard and mouse directly to the RPi it worked with the Midori browser! Strange, but I don't think I'm the first to have this problem.

I'm still struggling with issue 2 though and configuring my USB WiFi etc

Chris

malakai

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm

If you are running the wheezy build for the wireless go to the desktop and open the wpa_gui this should setup the wireless card and all the files

There are some issues that it won't automatically connect unless you go to the desktop to connect one solution that worked for me was to add auto wlan0 to /etc/network/interfaces

This can be done in terminal from the desktop

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

add

auto wlan0

CTRL + X then Y then enter

A link to the tutorial you use could help so we can see what the steps are you followed.

As far as root debian uses sudo

you should put sudo in front of most commands

Running as a true administrator in Linux isn't necessarily safe you should reserve root login for an advanced user (this statement about root is just a quick and short explanation and not all inclusive)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

mdewey

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:39 pm

malakai wrote:If you are running the wheezy build for the wireless go to the desktop and open the wpa_gui this should setup the wireless card and all the files

There are some issues that it won't automatically connect unless you go to the desktop to connect one solution that worked for me was to add auto wlan0 to /etc/network/interfaces

This can be done in terminal from the desktop

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

add

auto wlan0

CTRL + X then Y then enter

A link to the tutorial you use could help so we can see what the steps are you followed.

As far as root debian uses sudo

you should put sudo in front of most commands

Running as a true administrator in Linux isn't necessarily safe you should reserve root login for an advanced user (this statement about root is just a quick and short explanation and not all inclusive)
Does wpa_gui work for WEP connectivity, which is what the OP has? I too am struggling with an old WEP access point.

malakai

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Yes it supports about every wireless config a typical setup should encounter.

As far as connectivity issues it begins with:

1) power if you card can't get enough it will install but cannot connect. Try USB Powered Hub
You can try with just bare essentials plug in keyboard go to desktop remove keyboard plug in wireless and mouse. This will help if you have setup wireless on previous attempts and have saved the config settings
2) If possible turn off all encryption and test an open wireless setup
3) Search Google for your adapter and chipset

Example:
netgear WNA1100 chipset

Check the Wiki to see if your chipset works:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters

If you see it on the working then it is most likely a power issue

See troubleshooting Power
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

A not just because Linux can see your card does not guarantee it has enough power to use it especially when going into the Desktop as it needs even more power to give the CPU to run the Desktop it won't take much of a power loss to drop your peripherals.

The one I don't have an absolute answer for is getting wireless to auto connect on boot.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

ChrisRayner

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi Malakai,

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have the Debian OS build, so I don't appear to have access to the wpa_gui config tool.

The original tutorial I used to try and config the WiFi USB was as follows:
http://www.raspberrypi-tutorials.co.uk/ ... s-network/

However, I came up with another plan last night, which was to install PuTTY so that I can SSH into the Pi from my laptop, where both the laptop and the Pi are connected with the LAN ports on my DSL Hub/Router. But that drives me to destruction too, as I can't seem to get the SSH connection to work (http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login) - I just get Network Error - Connection refused?

I was going to get SSH working, and was then going to try and instal the VNC server.

All of this would be easier to be honest, as I then don't have to connect it all to the TV in the living room.

But at the moment, I can't seem to get anything working!

Chris

ChrisRayner

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Ah just fixed this with help from another Forum thread.

I have Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 \n \l

Which, it would appear, does not have SSH running at startup as default. So I typed
update-rc.d ssh defaults

And SSH is now running. Now when I use PuTTY, I can connect via SSH to the Pi through my Laptop PC. Laptop and RPi both connected to my O2 Wireless Hub via LAN cables. I can at least now get command line prompt to my RPi without sitting in front of the TV in the lounge (wifey happier, and no ADSL extension cable to put router in the lounge).

Now, I wonder if anybody has used the following
http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Server

to get a VNC server running so that I can the X Desktop from my Laptop PC as well?

Thanks
Chris

merlin13

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:37 am

Not sure if the original question regarding WEP configuration has been answered. Just in case it hasn't here is the page that helped me figure it out: http://elinux.org/RPi_Ralink_WLAN_devices

Down at the bottom, the 3rd option is for WEP configuration. Hope it helps!

ChrisRayner

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Merlin13

Thanks - the issue for connecting via WEP was not resolved, so I really appreciate your reply.

I've tried the 3rd step in your suggested link, but still I have no luck. When if use ifup to start the wlan0 interface, I get a whole load of errors ....

sudo ifup wlan0
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device
Failed to bring up wlan0.

Chris

Return to “Beginners”