RaspISteve

Downloading Jessie

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Guys,
Having updated one of my Pi's to Stretch (from Jessie as detailed in the Blog) and losing "EmulationStation" I'm trying to get back to the latest "Jessie" simply to give the grandkids something to do and stop them wrecking my home before I get to return them.

Trouble is it isn't as straight forward as it should be. Searching for "Raspbain Jessie" gets me to the current NOOBS and "Stretch" from the main downloads page here.

Digging here in the forum finally got me a link into the "http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/". I finally find what looks like the last version of "Jessie" : "2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie". Trouble was (and after and hour or so downloading) my Unbuntu barfs when trying to unzip it, it just hangs. Transfered the file to my Win7 and tried to unzip it again. Seems I need 734PB to do it. Huh! 734 Peta-Bytes?? Naa!

Tried again on my Win7 kit and after three attempted downloads, two interrupted half way through a 1.5Gb file by phone scammers ringing my line, I get new copy. Again the open archive feature of WinExplorer barfs at needing 734PB to expand it.

Some sites that advertise having a "Jessie" image trigger my web-nanny. Having found statements on this forum saying "Jessie" is still an option and is (sort-of) still supported where do I find a good one?

Guys, it shouldn't be this difficult.
Share and Enjoy.

alphanumeric

Re: Downloading Jessie

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 pm

2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie is what I have, downloaded from that link. http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/
I have no problem imaging my SD cards with that image from Etcher or Win32diskimager. Like you , I had a hard time finding that link though.

klricks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm

RaspISteve wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 pm
Guys,
Having updated one of my Pi's to Stretch (from Jessie as detailed in the Blog) and losing "EmulationStation" I'm trying to get back to the latest "Jessie" simply to give the grandkids something to do and stop them wrecking my home before I get to return them.

Trouble is it isn't as straight forward as it should be. Searching for "Raspbain Jessie" gets me to the current NOOBS and "Stretch" from the main downloads page here.

Digging here in the forum finally got me a link into the "http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/". I finally find what looks like the last version of "Jessie" : "2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie". Trouble was (and after and hour or so downloading) my Unbuntu barfs when trying to unzip it, it just hangs. Transfered the file to my Win7 and tried to unzip it again. Seems I need 734PB to do it. Huh! 734 Peta-Bytes?? Naa!

Tried again on my Win7 kit and after three attempted downloads, two interrupted half way through a 1.5Gb file by phone scammers ringing my line, I get new copy. Again the open archive feature of WinExplorer barfs at needing 734PB to expand it.

Some sites that advertise having a "Jessie" image trigger my web-nanny. Having found statements on this forum saying "Jessie" is still an option and is (sort-of) still supported where do I find a good one?

Guys, it shouldn't be this difficult.
Your un zip program is too old. You need to update it. Try 7zip https://www.7-zip.org/
Note that if you use Etcher to write the image then unzipping is not required.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

rpiMike

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Have you considered just flashing Retropie to an sd card using Etcher ?

Jessie based images : https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Stretch based beta : https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/163 ... or-testing

RaspISteve

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the input.

Still not discovered Etcher, might even try my Win10 (which usually just gets me very stressed (just hate Win10 its the window panels (bring back Win95/8))) to unzip them.

I have all the now older toys to get this done and just hadn't considered the point where "THEY" made is all "BETTER" and left me in a pile of rust.

Thanx.
Share and Enjoy.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 pm

RaspISteve wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for the input.

Still not discovered Etcher, might even try my Win10 (which usually just gets me very stressed (just hate Win10 its the window panels (bring back Win95/8))) to unzip them.

I have all the now older toys to get this done and just hadn't considered the point where "THEY" made is all "BETTER" and left me in a pile of rust.

Thanx.

Etcher is the best for x86 CPU machines, Linux / MacOS / WIndows NT, it both unzips and creates the SD Card (SDHC compatible SD Card Reader required) in a seamless operation:

https://etcher.io/

Even has an "experiemental" CLi version.........
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

RaspISteve

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Guys,
Thought I'd update you on my progress.

Yep. Tried Etcher and its very good. It does need a formated SD before the OS will spot it and Etcher will work. In the event my spare SD's formating was stuffed in someway and the SDFormater application wouldn't touch it. Could select the SD but SDFormatter just went very slow and froze. Used Windows to (quick) pre-format it then SDFormater worked OK.

Have installed the Jessie version SD and completed the setup.

I am using the WiFi and find it won't stay connected. Went around this loop an number of times. I connects, it works then the WiFi drops out. It died while I was in the browser and after rebooting died while doing "apt-get update/upgrade".

I have to report that the WiFi App is more than a bit cranky. It only seems to work as advertised from boot/start-up where it'll show SSID. If I disconnect I find I cannot reconnect until I reboot. Turning of WiFi is a one way trip. I looks like I turn it on again but the SSID scan reports nothing there. See other folk reporting problems with the WiFi thingy. It needs more work, its too cranky.

Never had the WiFi dropping out before on this hardware. Has always been solid. It might just be that my (sort-of successful) attempts to get "Stretch" running on there may have updated the firmware in some way. I upgraded from "Jessie" to "Stretch" as detailed in the Blog. This could also be a red herring.

Just returned to the my "Jessie/Stretch" SD and it's barfed. NOOBS has triggered and we're installing "Jessie". Great if it works.!
Share and Enjoy.

bertlea

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 am

How about Jessie Lite version. I cannot find the lite version. Hope someone can provide a link on that.

KLL

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:23 am

bertlea wrote:How about Jessie Lite version. I cannot find the lite version. Hope someone can provide a link on that.
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/

but why?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208378&p=1288954#p1288244

for your free mem compare i suggest:
install: RASPBIAN STRETCH desktop
sudo raspi-config / boot to terminal ( ++100MB more free ram )
still can headless connect VNC to desktop if needed
== RASPBIAN DESKTOP LITE

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 am

RaspISteve wrote:
might even try my Win10 (which usually just gets me very stressed (just hate Win10 its the window panels (bring back Win95/8)))
If you want the old Windows start menu back on Win8/10, check out Classic Shell.
http://www.classicshell.net/
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

bertlea

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 am

KLL wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:23 am
bertlea wrote:How about Jessie Lite version. I cannot find the lite version. Hope someone can provide a link on that.
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/

but why?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208378&p=1288954#p1288244

for your free mem compare i suggest:
install: RASPBIAN STRETCH desktop
sudo raspi-config / boot to terminal ( ++100MB more free ram )
still can headless connect VNC to desktop if needed
== RASPBIAN DESKTOP LITE
Thank you KLL! I just downloaded it and I will save it to my backup hard-disk. It is just my psychological need. As one of my server (a Pi Zero W) is running on Jessie and it is running perfectly well, thus I have no plan to upgrade it to Stretch until there is a reason I had to do this. So I just feel better when I keep all the original files I can rebuild the system if I need. Now I can sleep better. :D

Thanks for the suggestion on "Raspbian Desktop Lite". I think this is a good idea for my Pi 3B.

KLL

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am

bertlea wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 am
Thanks for the suggestion on "Raspbian Desktop Lite". I think this is a good idea for my Pi 3B.
as usual, i should have checked what i talk about....
on a new setup ( RASPBIAN STRETCH desktop image burn to USB stick, update upgrade )
i do that comparison and got unusual low numbers on USED RAM

Code: Select all

DEBIAN stretch
Linux version 4.14.30-v7+
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2, CPU: armv7l BCM2835

pi@RPI3:~ $ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           927M         91M        647M         16M        188M        770M
Swap:           99M          0B         99M

#change to NOT boot to desktop
sudo raspi-config [3 Boot Options][B1 Desktop / CLI][B1 Console   # not login] #&REBOOT

pi@RPI3:~ $ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           927M         42M        777M         12M        107M        824M
Swap:           99M          0B         99M
so 91 down to 42 means the <100MB less> in my memory must have been with a old bloated system
note: there ( boot NOT to desktop) are to expect some more differences:
-a- no USB drive auto mount
-b- for VNC screen resolution needs to be set

Return to “Beginners”