neilld

Youtube in Chromium

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Apologies if this has been dealt with before (I have looked but can't find an answer)
I have just run update and upgrade on a Pi2 and now youtube and BBC iPlayer videos no longer work (they did before)
I get the "aw snap" page all the time.
Anyone got any thoughts?

DFN

johndavies

Re: Youtube in Chromium

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Have you checked your GPU memory? The value should be around 120. Have you added a flash app to your Chromium browser.?It needs to be reset to read HTML5 files or deleted. youtube-dl is a very useful addition. It will save youtube videos. It can also save bbc iplayer programmes as well as some of those on the itv, uktvplay and PBS America sites. It can also save videos from a number of other sites (see youtube-dl --list-extractors).

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Maybe kweb would be better than chromium-browser ??

viewtopic.php?t=40860
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

wildfire

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Or others.
Scotty never said "I canae give her any more Captain, She'll blow".
B'Elanna Torres however did say "Get the cheese to the sickbay" :?:

neilld

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 am

johndavies wrote:
Have you checked your GPU memory? The value should be around 120. Have you added a flash app to your Chromium browser.?It needs to be reset to read HTML5 files or deleted. youtube-dl is a very useful addition. It will save youtube videos. It can also save bbc iplayer programmes as well as some of those on the itv, uktvplay and PBS America sites. It can also save videos from a number of other sites (see youtube-dl --list-extractors).
Thanks for reply. I haven't changed anything other than sudo apt-get update & upgrade. Have also tried with WiFi and Ethernet.in case speed was the issue but no good.
Can you advise further on the Flash app / HTML5 bit?

thanks
DFN

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:03 am

neilld wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 am
johndavies wrote:
Thanks for reply. I haven't changed anything other than sudo apt-get update & upgrade. Have also tried with WiFi and Ethernet.in case speed was the issue but no good.
Can you advise further on the Flash app / HTML5 bit?

thanks
DFN

https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

johndavies

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm

If you did add the flash app from the Chrome (Chromium) App Library, delete it as it does seem to affect the playing of Youtube files. You rarely have to worry about HTML5 files as HTML5 is rapidly replacing flash.

neilld

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for help.
I've solved it - installed Firefox

DFN

Return to “Beginners”