TLoATDaE

Looking for a Lubuntu 18.04 LTS image for the new RPi3B+

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Greeting, good folks!

I am looking for help getting a usable image of Lubuntu 18.04 LTS that will work with my brand spanking new RPi3B+ that just arrived today.

Since I am still fairly new to the whole 'buntu and RPi community, and have noticed that the new 3B+ seems to be having a bit of difficulty, I figured that this is likely the best way to get a useful answer. I already tripped over a bit of case incompatibility with the 1-9 Design case, and will have to default to the ever-so-useful Eleduino aluminum case, due to chip location differences.

Let me start by saying that I have no idea if the new board is even capable of handling the Lubuntu 18.04 LTS in the first place. Given the difficulties I had with keeping 16.04 LTS going, I was hoping that there have been some advancements since last I tried (a number of months ago).

All that said, I am hoping to find something here, and save myself (and possibly others) from the labyrinth of 'buntu board diving, and technobabble that seems to plague many aspects of the RPi community.

Thank you in advance for your support!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Looking for a Lubuntu 18.04 LTS image for the new RPi3B+

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 pm

TLoATDaE wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 pm
Greeting, good folks!

I am looking for help getting a usable image of Lubuntu 18.04 LTS that will work with my brand spanking new RPi3B+ that just arrived today.

Since I am still fairly new to the whole 'buntu and RPi community, and have noticed that the new 3B+ seems to be having a bit of difficulty, I figured that this is likely the best way to get a useful answer. I already tripped over a bit of case incompatibility with the 1-9 Design case, and will have to default to the ever-so-useful Eleduino aluminum case, due to chip location differences.

Let me start by saying that I have no idea if the new board is even capable of handling the Lubuntu 18.04 LTS in the first place. Given the difficulties I had with keeping 16.04 LTS going, I was hoping that there have been some advancements since last I tried (a number of months ago).

All that said, I am hoping to find something here, and save myself (and possibly others) from the labyrinth of 'buntu board diving, and technobabble that seems to plague many aspects of the RPi community.

Thank you in advance for your support!

The Community Developed Ubuntu Pi Flavour Maker is the only active development afaiaa:

https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org

What is wrong with Raspbian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop ?

Ubuntu is based of Debian, whilst Lubuntu LXDE Desktop is the base for Raspberry Pi Desktop....so not much difference !!
Retired disgracefully.....

TLoATDaE

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, "fruitoftheloom"!
(There sure seems to be a lot of interesting nicknames here.)

Debian is a 32 bit kernel (if I am informed correctly), while the Lubuntu is 64 bit.
Previous builds I have been tinkering with were 32 bit as well, and there have been little attention made toward getting the full 64 bit up and running. That, and the Debian/Raspbian desktop just doesn't "feel" right to me... :oops:

I have been trying for a while to get Lubuntu running as a desktop replacement. I know, I know, it a Raspberry Pi.
A guy can dream, can't he? I have one set up with a RealTime Clock and even added the "Push Button to Shutdown Safely" mods, with an Illuminated Power Button. Then the 16.04 LTS started to flake out on me, so I let it languish on the back of my desk.

I have even tried the much-lauded ASUS TinkerBoard, but it seems to be a dead end (with no Lubuntu support that I can find), even with its better class of hardware...

Once I get things lined up, I'll get the AVI/Mpeg licenses for it, so it'll have the best chances of playing media files reasonably well.

Does Flavour Maker allow for a multi-boot setup? It seems more complex than I am conformable with right now... If that is the case, I'll try to get a OSMC/Lubuntu image together on the 32 GB PNY U3 card I have for this system, and it should be brilliant.

Now, to just get my head around the FlavourMaker instructions... They just seem so steeped in tech-speak that I get lost easily...

Crystal the Glaceon

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 pm
What is wrong with Raspbian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop ?
I know this is a bump, but this is also the most recent post I could find asking this same question that I always get when Googling for anything other than Raspbian. I don't want to use Raspbian anymore because the software is becoming increasing outdated and I have to manually update the software due to the official software being so outdated. Chromium for example is still on 60, which is several versions out of date. I can install the latest version using the Ubuntu 14.04, which only shows that it can be updated, yet they haven't updated it. The latest Firefox doesn't work anymore on Raspbian, which means using the EOS version for the time being. This could be avoided by simply making a 64Bit image instead of just focusing on a 32Bit image. I understand the team wants to continue supporting the older boards, but this continued support is holding the project back until they either fork Raspbian or EOL the older boards.
Personally I would like to have a distro on my Pi3B+ that doesn't feel gimped due to them holding back for older boards. They could easily make a far better distro if they weren't limiting themselves. I know recently they mentioned the possibility for a 64Bit build, but nothing actually confirmed. So I am just hoping that more people speak up and support the idea so we can actually have a proper build that really shows the power the Pi3(B+) has, without being held back by the previous boards.
Cute is as cute does

Gavinmc42

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=188448#p1187033

Now that the Pi3B+ is out mainstream Linux might pay more attention to our "toy" SBC's.
Stuff is going upstream and then coming back down, like Eric Anholt's VC4 driver.

Like most great things Champion's are needed.
In Gentoo's case it was NeddySeagoon porting Rust and getting Firefox Quantum going and Sakaki for making it easy to Install on Pi3's.
OpenSuse tried but it was too hard for average users.
Fedora always seems to be - next release it will work :(

Apart from Gentoo it seems to be experts only at the moment for Aarch64.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Crystal the Glaceon

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:

Now that the Pi3B+ is out mainstream Linux might pay more attention to our "toy" SBC's.
Stuff is going upstream and then coming back down, like Eric Anholt's VC4 driver.

In Gentoo's case it was NeddySeagoon porting Rust and getting Firefox Quantum going and Sakaki for making it easy to Install on Pi3's.

I am actually testing Gentoo right now since it appears to be the one of the few that actually works properly with USB-Boot with the Pi3 B+
Cute is as cute does

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:16 am

Crystal the Glaceon wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 am
Gavinmc42 wrote:

I am actually testing Gentoo right now since it appears to be the one of the few that actually works properly with USB-Boot with the Pi3 B+

You could try Suse variants, though not explored if it supports the 3B+ yet ??

https://www.suse.com/products/arm/raspberry-pi/

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi3
Retired disgracefully.....

feelslikeautumn

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
I'm not sure where this idea that you have to be an expert to use aarch64 has come from. It's been possible to do this in debian, Ubuntu, open suse etc for ages. For example, I made a 64 bit lubuntu ISO back in august of last year.

Ubuntu wiki has instructions for 64 bit https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi . The only difficult bit (which is lacking instructions) is creating a partitioning scheme. Anybody familiar with grub will be able to boot the pi.

Gavinmc42

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 pm

[I'm not sure where this idea that you have to be an expert to use aarch64 has come from. It's been possible to do this in debian, Ubuntu, open suse etc for ages. For example, I made a 64 bit lubuntu ISO back in august of last year.

Ubuntu wiki has instructions for 64 bit https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi . The only difficult bit (which is lacking instructions) is creating a partitioning scheme. Anybody familiar with grub will be able to boot the pi./quote]
Follow instruction to make a 64bitspin , use grub to ... er that sounds like expert to me ;)
The equivalent of a Linux car mechanic.

Some people just want to grab an OS, burn the image and use it to do stuff.
This stuff may be compiling kernels ;)
But Ido not want to follow the same instructon over and over every time one of these 64bit builds crashes.
And I don't want to spend too much time learning how to fix them.

What is wrong with wanting an OS that just works and keeps working?
Preferably without the Linux equivalent of the Blue screen of death ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

feelslikeautumn

Sun May 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Not Lubuntu, but Xubuntu 18.04: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4gQHfDAh2SYG_Q4Bt

It's 64 bit, works with the 3B+ and is USB bootable.

More info on this thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=209763 and https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/aarch64 ... b-3b/16853

Works just like an installation on a normal computer. You just need to point the installer at the drive you want to install on and it does the rest. Copying the installer to a USB flash drive can be done from a windows machine, no downloading of external apps necessary. Simple.

And I've yet to have a blue screen of death since running 64 bit Ubuntu since Aug of last year. No idea where that has come from.

Return to “Beginners”