nerdykit

External Drive corrupted after shutdown

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm using raspbian stretch to run a simple Apache2 web server with a USB external hard drive (formatted ext4) connected as the public_html source for a low-traffic web server. Whenever I issue a sudo shutdown command, the next time I reboot, the external hard drive shows up as damaged and requires a fsck treatment before it can be rebooted successfully back into operation.

I CAN shutdown safely if I first stop Apache2 (sudo systemctl) then unmounting the external drive (sudo umount) and then shutting down, but shouldn't a standard sudo shutdown take care of this properly? I think something's wrong but I don't know what to look for. An older R-pi onsite that functions as a TimeMachine network server doesn't show this problem. I'm pretty sure that the drive corruption problem isn't because someone is actively accessing the web server every time I happen to request a shutdown.

As a band-aid solution, can I create a shell script that will take over for me and do these steps in sequence for me and then have that script invoked by the shutdown command?

Thanks

NK
What me...?

Return to “Beginners”