Massi

Connecting TTL with different voltages

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello all,
i have to connect two devices:
- a pzem-004t module (TTL @ 5V)
- a hm-10 module (TTL @3.3V)

This is a remote (BLE) voltage current sensor so i have to limit as much as possible space used. The only cable i'm giving is a cut USB cable sourcing 5V for power.

Now, the easiest thing to do would be adding a level converter module, where i only need to add the 3.3V level reference. i could create this with a couple of resistors.

But, just to take advantage of the problem to learn something new, can you think to a different (better?) way of managing this?

Or would you only manage the TX line of the PZEM module, with a resistive divider to the RX line of the HM-10?

thanks

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Connecting TTL with different voltages

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Massi wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm
Hello all,
i have to connect two devices:
- a pzem-004t module (TTL @ 5V)
- a hm-10 module (TTL @3.3V)
This is a remote (BLE) voltage current sensor so i have to limit as much as possible space used. The only cable i'm giving is a cut USB cable sourcing 5V for power.
Now, the easiest thing to do would be adding a level converter module, where i only need to add the 3.3V level reference. i could create this with a couple of resistors.
But, just to take advantage of the problem to learn something new, can you think to a different (better?) way of managing this?
Or would you only manage the TX line of the PZEM module, with a resistive divider to the RX line of the HM-10?
thanks
Are these modules being connected to a Pi? It's unclear from what you've written. Is communication with them uni- or bi-directional? Can you post more detail (or a link to more detail) about them. (From the point of view of a Pi's 3.3V GPIO's: Tx'd data from the Pi to a 5V device would require a level converter. Data from a 5V device to the Pi could be either via a resistive divider or a level converter. In practice typical level converter modules have 2, 4, or 8 bi-directional channels: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... dules.html )
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Idahowalker

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:01 pm

I been using these:

Bi-directional, compact, and fast.
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

Moe

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am

Having spent ages pondering the same sort of questions, I now just factor in a bank of bi-directional level converters to my Pi projects. They're cheap, and life is short.
Submarine communication systems engineer and amateur robot enthusiast.

Massi

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:41 pm

sadly i have no 3.3V power source where the sensor is located, so i can't use those cheap level shifters..
i tried with some resistors on TX line, but it's only working a little better, it freezes after a while
so i need to put something more. probably i'll try to take the 5V to 3.3 with some diodes and than using a level shifter..

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Massi wrote:
sadly i have no 3.3V power source where the sensor is located, so i can't use those cheap level shifters..
The Hobbytronics ones I've used have an on-board 3.3V regulator/supply powered from the 5V "high-level" supply
see "B" and "C" here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... dules.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

drgeoff

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Massi wrote:
Put the level shifter at the RPi end, where you do have 3.3 volts on the GPIO header.

Massi

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am

drgeoff wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:58 pm
Massi wrote:
Put the level shifter at the RPi end, where you do have 3.3 volts on the GPIO header.
the sensor is connected to the PI through the hm-10 BT module (bluetooth side)

Return to “Beginners”