khalidos11

Raspbian Stretch Installation

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 pm

I have a new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. I have been trying to install Stretch on it through Ubuntu. I extracted the .img file, dd'd the file onto the SD card. I created a ssh file too.
However when I try to ping it, it says unknown host. What could be the possible error?

fbe

Re: Raspbian Stretch Installation

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

"Unknown host" means you tried to ping to a hostname that could not be resolved to an IP-Address by your domain name server (or the /etc/hosts file of your Ubuntu machine). This has nothing to do with the ssh file.

Look here viewtopic.php?f=91&t=206115#p1276886 if you are trying to do a headless setup.

If you write the image by Ubuntu you can additionally configure a static IP address for your Raspberry Pi before you boot it from the SD card. Edit the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file on the (ext4) root partition of the SD card. There are examples in the comments. Ask again if you are unsure, how to do it.

khalidos11

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:48 am

I can ping to my RPi's IP address now. But the ssh connection is refused. I tried installing this again.

jahboater

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 am

Did the "ssh" file get removed? You can always put it back and try again.

You probably shouldn't need to but you can also go into /etc/ssh while the card is mounted on your ubuntu PC and edit sshd_config or ssh_config if needed.

Return to “Beginners”