jeevap

How to find the RAM size?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:26 pm

I bought a new 512MB model from The MCM Electronics Teamwww.mcmelectronics.com.

I am able to boot successfully, but when looked in the task manager it shows total memory as "183MB" . Am I having 512MB system?

How do we see the RAM of the system?

thanks,
Jeeva

jaromanda

Re: How to find the RAM size?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:55 pm

check the chip on the Pi

if it has 2G in the number, it's 256MB (i.e. 2Gbit) if it has 4G in it's number, it's 512MB (4Gbit)

what the OS tells you is what has been allocated to the CPU

another way

cat /proc/cpuinfo

if the revision is less than 0010 - it's a 256MB - that's the theory that was posted by someone in the know here somewhere, he added that some 512MB boards came with a revision of 0005 (mine did), later firmware reports them as 000f
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?

pluggy

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Depend on what image you're using you'll probably need some tweaking to be able to use most of it for the CPU. I just explained it here : http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 18#p198518
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

nguyenlinh

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:05 am

Hi,
I have a Pi model B uses hynix ram.
H9TKNNN2GDMP
LRNOM 217A
What is rom size?
Thank you.

pluggy

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 am

nguyenlinh wrote:Hi,
I have a Pi model B uses hynix ram.
H9TKNNN2GDMP
LRNOM 217A
What is rom size?
Thank you.
It doesn't have a ROM as such. Theres a small bootloader built into the GPU which then drags most of the firmware from the small Partition on the SD card.
The RAM size with that chip is 256MB.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

nguyenlinh

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm

pluggy wrote: It doesn't have a ROM as such. Theres a small bootloader built into the GPU which then drags most of the firmware from the small Partition on the SD card.
The RAM size with that chip is 256MB.
Sorry, i ask about ram size.
Thank you for your answer.

socialdefect

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:04 pm

If you are not a Linux Guru (yet) and like to view specs and performance you might like the following tools:

Most people just starting out with Unix/Linux like the lshw command. I believe the GUI interface for it is called lshw-gui and can be installed using your distro's package manager (apt-get, synaptic, app-center, pacman etc...). It has quite a human readable and complete output of your hardware.

For looking at performance conky, Gkrellm and top are very usable and quite user friendly. Gkrellm is a GUI application, conky can be used on the command-line and GUI but is configured using a config file and is atarted from a script, autostart folder or command-line. Top is a very simple process manager started from the commandline and is included in all Linux distro's, just type: top for all output or: top -u username to see processes for a specific user. Exit top by pressing Q or [ctrl]+Z.
== If it's not broke... I'm not done fixing it! ==

tim11pop

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm

I personally use a small perl script to look for the specification of the device. Search for a little script called "sysinfo.pl" by Imbe and type "perl sysinfo.pl"

lavers

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:08 pm

socialdefect wrote:Exit top by pressing Q or [ctrl]+Z.
Ctrl+Z does not exit top (or any other program). It suspends the currently running command/program so you can get back to your shell prompt. Top is still there in the background, type fg to bring it back to the foreground. You may be thinking of Ctrl+C which does terminate a running program.

Return to “Beginners”