noodlebear

Male to Male Jumper Cables

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:23 pm

I'm wanting to do a bit of work with the GPIO on my Pi Zero. I have a breadboard, I don't have the GPIO pins, but I do have male to male jumper wires. Would a male jumper wire in the GPIO port work? Or should I wait to buy the pins?

pcmanbob

Re: Male to Male Jumper Cables

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:28 pm

I think you will find that the pin on male to male jumper wires is to small to make a reliable connection by just pushing it to the holes on a pi zero.

could you not try it for yourself. :?
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

noodlebear

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Probably should have mentioned this, but I did try. I was receiving errors and wasn't sure if it was due to a not proper connection being made, or a problem with my code.

pcmanbob

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Could you not feel how loose the connection was, the gpio holes on the pi zero are about 1mm but the average size of a pin on breadboard jumpers is 0.6mm never going to make a proper connection, also these holes are not designed for use with push in connections like a breadboard.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

gkaiseril

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Breadboards have spring contacts to make a solid contact to the male pins. There are hammer on female headers for the 40 pin GPIO that have springs in the female header like the breadboards.

PhatFil

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 pm

For a small circuit with one or two connections you may get away with it, blutack is a very handy 3rd hand or finger in these cases..
but any more then 4 or 5 connections and you can risk your sanity..

Lob0426

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 am

I installed a female header on my pi Zero W and the Male/Male wires work just fine, good tension. They will not work in the header holes with any chance of reliability. I like this better than using a male header! The pins are not exposed to being shorted this way. You can still connect it wrong and fry it though!
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG (205.38 KiB) Viewed 480 times
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

MaxK1

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Hmm - "Stacking headers" headers should work (Male on one side,female on the other)
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

PhatFil

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

he trick is to keep a little pressure on the pins so they are wedged in at an angle making an electrical contact with the solderpad hole But are not shorting out on each other on the b side.. the square end terminated strands from the dupont ribbon cables lend themselves to being sellotaped into a nice rigid run.

its not the best way to do it obviously but if flashing a small soc keeping a row of 4-5 pins stable and connected for the 60 seconds or so needed its just about do-able.

However If your getting errors that you cant trace to dodgy connections or other errors stop n wait till you have the bits needed, t was worth a punt but you need a degree of certainty when debugig/fault finding.

When next browsing ebay or your favourite far east shopping portal keep an eye open for small 5 x 5 and 10 x 14? diddy bread boards, the small 5x5 bricks are ideal for a single component with a pull up/down resistor, and projects have a tendency to grow beyond a single breadboard very easily..

Return to “Beginners”