Ray Norwood

how do I uninstall programs?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi.
can anyone till me how to uninstall a program in raspbian please.
Ray

gkaiseril

Re: Uninstall program

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Have you looked at apt-get documentation or the man apt-get pages?

You have the

Code: Select all

apt-get remove [package name]

to remove the package from use.

You can use the

apt-get purge [package name]
to completely remove the package from the system.

And then there is the

apt-get clean [package name]
to clean up the local repository.

Note you may need to use the sudo command depending upon how the package was installed and who has ownership rights for the package.

fbe

Re: how do I uninstall programs?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 pm

There is an "Add/Remove Software" application for the Raspbian Desktop where you can search for software packages that you may want to add or remove.

Ray Norwood

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I have tried what you sergested. I want into Terminal and typed in, apt-get JMRI and I get back E: Invalid operation JMRI. I also put sudo in front of apt and still get the same message.
Can you please help.
Ray

gordon77

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Did you type apt-get purge JMRI or apt-get remove JMRI ?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 pm

First, you should know that as Linux is very much case sensitive JMRI and jmri are two different things.
also apt-get alone doesn't do anything, as it expect to be told what to do, and JMRI isn't something it can do.

type "man apt-get", and read the result (man is the built in manual system of linux, it produces "man-pages", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_page)

I would also recommend reading the apt page of wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APT_%28Debian%29

Ray Norwood

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:22 pm

I have tried all these, remove, purge, and the program in lower case, I am getting E: Unable to locate package jmri

jahboater

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm

You can search for installed packages with "dpkg -l"
So try:

dpkg -l jmri

I tried "apt-cache search jmri" and it doesn't exist, so you need to try and remember the name.

n67

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm

First of all, a little bit of Googling tells me that this "jmri" is Java Model Railroad Interface.

Second, it does not seem to exist as a Debian (Ubuntu) or as an RPi package, so if the OP did actually install it, it would have been from a "tarball" (or similar).

Third, this web site described the process (Yes, this is for Ubuntu and, presumably, x86, but the principles should still hold):

http://jmri.org/install/Ubuntu.shtml

Fourth, yes, you will probably have to hunt around for the right binary tarball for the Pi, or (gasp!) compile it yourself from source.

Fifth, yes, as a general comment, it is true that when install stuff yourself (either from a binary tarball or via compiling from source), it is less easy to change your mind and uninstall it than it would be had you installed from a package manager. That's part of why package managers were invented...
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

Ray Norwood

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm

JMRI do a download for linex . Which is the one I downloaded.
Last edited by Ray Norwood on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidcoton

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 pm

Duid you follow these instructions? They are a little old (Jessie not Stretch), and were tested on an older Pi2B, so there may be issues with Stretch on a Pi3. Some details are certainly out of date, but they are probably the best you can get as of now. You may need to contact JMRI on their Yahoo group (link on the page I linked).
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

Ray Norwood

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm

That all about installing, i won't to uninstall.

n67

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Ray Norwood wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm
That all about installing, I want to uninstall.
Why?

I know that sounds like a rhetorical question, but it is actually serious.

Knowing what exactly you hope to accomplish by uninstalling will guide us all to the right answer to your question.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

Roken

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 pm

I haven't checked availability, but if you did, indeed, install it yourself (not using apt or the package manager), then you can try

sudo dpkg -r jmri
Assuming that you at least used dpkg to install. If you didn't, and followed some tutorial that had you manually copying files around your system, then you should return to the tutorial and reverse the process.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

davidcoton

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Ray Norwood wrote:That all about installing, i won't to uninstall.
In order to uninstall, you need to know (basically) how you installed it. Which instructions did you follow?
Once we establish that, we can work out the magic uninstall (if there is one), or failing that, what to do to reverse the install, and what to do when bits of that process go wrong.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

gkaiseril

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Unless you have a complex system setup, you could get a new SD card and start a fresh OS install from scratch.

I would suggest that any time one has to install a package by not using one of the package managers that they backup their SD card using SD copy or piclone to a new SD card. This way they can easily get back to a running system if a mistake is made or there is an error in the installed software.

Return to “Beginners”