GAT83

Controlling output devices via wifi

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:32 pm

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated, i would like to know if it is possible to control output devices connected to a multi channel relay board via wifi? I am a novice when it comes to coding but any help and or explanation as to the complexity or if it is even possible would be great. Thanks.

wh7qq

Re: Controlling output devices via wifi

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Absolutely, it is possible. An ssh connection via wifi gives you full access to the gpio pins which can then control relay boards. You can control the pins under program control, or directly with simple text commands. It is important to protect the GPIO pins from potential EMF spikes generated by the relays but the commercially available relay boards you can buy from the RPi vendors are usually optically coupled to the GPIO pins. There are plenty of tutorials on using relay boards online, so let a good search engine like google or Duck Duck be your friend. In general, the complexity is no greater than what is required to control an LED and that is a good place to start learning. The tutorials on this web site are excellent and easy to understand.

GAT83

Re: Controlling output devices via wifi

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks for your response i will do my research.

Return to “Beginners”