adminst

Stretch working as wlan bridge

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:37 am

Hi all
I've a raspi 3 with installed raspian Stretch lite. My Raspi should work as wlan Bridge (connecting over wlan1 - additional wlan Card) to the main wlan Network an Bypass the traffic transparently to eth0 (including dhcp-leases). I've found following howto:
https://www.wiegleb.org/2016/10/10/rasp ... ohne-wlan/ . May it doesn't work.

- Has someone an idea what's wrong?
- or has someone a howto which work with Stretch?

Thx
adminst

SurferTim

Re: Stretch working as wlan bridge

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Have you read this? Maybe it will help you.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

adminst

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi
You're link is the Setup for an Access Point and not as wireless Bridge.

admins

SurferTim

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Oh. If you are using Stretch, you cannot add a wireless client interface (station mode) to a bridge.

jofori

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am

Hi I've

been trying to do the same thing I think,

does it mean you cannot create a wireless access point on one RSPi for the purpose of connecting to its hotpoint and then use say samba to browse an ethernet LAN clients files and folders?

i.e Mac Laptop ---> WifiHotspot --->Ethernet LAN RSPi clients (shared folders) ?

I would have thought that would be possible?

thanks
J

mfa298

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:14 pm

jofori wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am
does it mean you cannot create a wireless access point on one RSPi for the purpose of connecting to its hotpoint and then use say samba to browse an ethernet LAN clients files and folders?

i.e Mac Laptop ---> WifiHotspot --->Ethernet LAN RSPi clients (shared folders) ?
If the "WifiHotspot --> Ethernet Lan" is over a wired connection and the Pi is acting as a Wireless Access Point then it should work. If that link is over wifi then as SurferTim said:
SurferTim wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm
Oh. If you are using Stretch, you cannot add a wireless client interface (station mode) to a bridge.
This is due to the standard for wireless connections. When you connect to a Wireless Access Point the AP will only ever see the ethernet address of the connected client and not the ethernet addresses of anything behind id (this is also an issue for virtual machines on a bridged wifi connection).

You can setup a system where a "wlan bridge" acting as a wifi to wifi device will work but it will need to be routing with different networks on each interface. This would normally also need some extra config on the upstream router or use of NAT on the "bridge device". You might also be able to bodge around the issues in the wifi standard with things like proxy arp, but that might not fix all the issues.

jofori

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply...

I have been trying to get this scenario to work....in this discussion here, but I think it's not really going in the right direction...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=216306&p=1331314#p1331314
I am working only with a Mac OSX laptop, Raspberry Pi3B+ and stretch only OS configuration.

=================================== I been trying to get this work with no Joy ==============================
To be clear: Say you have an Ethernet network of Raspberry Pi 3B+(s) with NO other equipment connected by Ethernet.
(Pi 1 Or RSPi Server = 1 , ethernet connected to RSPi Clients = 3) , (Laptop client =1 , not ethernet connected)

Now Network all the RSPi machines together using a usb powered Ethernet hub. (not the laptop)

Add to the RSPi (server) Wifi Hotspot functionailty.

Now disable all client wifi connectivity except for the RSPi (server) - that needs to stay on because it provides the WifiHotspot.

Now from your Laptop (Mac Osx) connect to the WIFI Hotspot ( RSPi - server ).

Now that your LAPTOP is connected via Wifi Hotspot, Launch your (network browser) i.e Finder --> GO -->Connect To Server (smb://192.168.5.7/) and connect to an Ethernet Lan based RSPi i.e any of the 3 clients) and browse it's/their shared folders etc...

The result is that I have used my WIFI hotspot, as a way to browse my local LAN without connecting directly to any RSPi-client but just through the bridge provided by my hotspot on the RSPi (server).

Scenario: Why would anyone want this: In my case, I am building portable classrooms for young/vunerable people... They need to be protected from the outside world's distractions(Facebook, youtube etc) and inappropriate content. All the skills required like connecting to a web site, downloading, uploading, build websites(wordpress), coding etc is all simulated using Raspberry Pi 3B+ machines and Raspbian pre-loaded software.

The Wifi HotSpot part, is to demonstrate how to work with Wifi hotspots and learn the benefits/vulnerabilities that come with it.
===============================================================================================================

Is this possible, or am I missing the point...i.e that the nature of Wifi Hotspot AccessPoints is that you cannot bridge from the Wifi to the LAN clients and use their files and folders?
If it is possible Could Someone/Anyone please explain what code should I write and which files would I put the code into?

regards
J

mfa298

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:15 am

jofori wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=216306&p=1331314#p1331314

Is this possible, or am I missing the point...i.e that the nature of Wifi Hotspot AccessPoints is that you cannot bridge from the Wifi to the LAN clients and use their files and folders?
If it is possible Could Someone/Anyone please explain what code should I write and which files would I put the code into?
Trying to work out what your trying to do I think that should work in principle. It sounds like you just want the Pi to act like a simple Access Point bridging a wireless network with the Pi acting as an AP (with hostapd) to a wired ethernet.

The only stumbling block I can forsee is whether the 3B+ wifi has support for running in that mode yet (possibly might be worth testing on a 3B as well. I'd suggest keeping the conversation in your other thread, two threads for the same thing adds to the confusion.

Return to “Beginners”