TripleB67

Amazed Newbie!!!

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 am

I recently purchased a SNES Classic so I could relive, I won't say my childhood (currently 50), my enjoyment of playing many of the included games as well as some other ones I never got to try. After playing these games (actually my 10 year old, who got a Nintendo Switch for Christmas, has played it more than I have...completing Mario RPG - 19 hours and 19 minutes I believe) I started longing for all the games I've played throughout my life.

So I searched online to find emulators but they really don't give me that feel of playing the oldies but goodies again because it's with a keyboard. So to make a long story short I ended up reading about the Raspberry Pi 3...a relatively inexpensive device that seems like it would allow me to relive most of those classics on a tv with a joystick in my hand...I'm just amazed that this is actually possible...is it legal???

What basics do I need to know to be able to play so many classics on my TV. I've seen "Complete 32GB Raspberry Pi Starter Kits" for like $70 that include: Raspberry Pi 3 (RPi3) Model B Quad-Core 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM; On-board WiFi & Bluetooth Connectivity; 32 GB Micro SD Card pre-loaded with NOOBS; USB MicroSD Card Reader; CanaKit 2.5A USB Power Supply w/Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter;
High Quality Raspberry Pi 3 Case; HDMI Cable; 2 x Heat Sinks; GPIO Quick Reference Card

Does this contain everything I would need? Is a keyboard needed? What other advice would you give me?

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give this Raspberry Pi 3 newbie!!!

TripleB67

topguy

Re: Amazed Newbie!!!

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 am

You dont have to use a keyboard to play with emulators on PC.
You can find USB retro controllers to use instead or use Xbox controllers.
...is it legal???
This article sums up my view on it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/262758/is-dow ... ver-legal/

TripleB67

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 am

topguy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 am
You dont have to use a keyboard to play with emulators on PC.
You can find USB retro controllers to use instead or use Xbox controllers.
...is it legal???
This article sums up my view on it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/262758/is-dow ... ver-legal/
I have a couple XBox 360 wireless controllers...I assume they wouldn't work?

So from the article I think I gather:
- emulators are legal
- ROMs and downloading games you don't own is illegal; unless you own an original copy of the game and then it may or may not be illegal
- Even if a game isn't around any longer and the original producer won't be losing money, they could claim they were going to bring the game back (like Disney does movies)

So, if I use a controller to play a game through an emulator online, would that be considered legal since I'm not actually downloading the game?

I appreciate your help and the link!

Triple67

topguy

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 am

You can buy an usb receiver for wireless xbox controllers for PC. ( http://www.ebay.com/bhp/xbox-360-wireless-receiver )
So, if I use a controller to play a game through an emulator online, would that be considered legal since I'm not actually downloading the game?
In this case I'll rather infringe on copyright law myself instead of relying on someone to do it for me ;-)
In any case nobody are going take legal action against you if you download a game ROM for personal use.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 am

It may not be likely to get you in trouble, but it is clearly a breach of copyright if you don't own the game on ROM and may still be a breach of copyright if you do.
This forum is required to not support discussions in support of breaking criminal law and could be placed in a difficult position even if the issue was civil law. This thread has not crossed that line yet, but please be careful.
I notice the retropi website does not seem to discuss ROMs at all. That's probably the safest path. Some slack is probably required when informing a newbie of the legal issues but we should draw the line there. Any further and someone will mention a download site and get the thread deleted immediately and with predjudice.

TripleB67

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:21 pm

rurwin wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 am
This forum is required to not support discussions in support of breaking criminal law and could be placed in a difficult position even if the issue was civil law. This thread has not crossed that line yet, but please be careful.
Understood!

Thanks for everyone's help - I appreciate you all clearing up the laws for me and the mention of other avenues to look at - it is much appreciated!!!

TripleB67

Return to “Beginners”