choochoojerry

Newb seeking Programming help

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I am a total newb & have been told that I can use a Raspberry Pi to program an Arduino board & beginners projects. When I say newb I am only itno this 4 days now but I am fascinated by this whole thing. The only computer I have is a Google Chrome Laptop W/Chrome OS. I have looked thru the Raspberry Pi store & it looks like I can buy what I need to do it, but I am not sure what to buy. If this can be done can some one help me as to what I need. I am a model railroader & would look to put what I learn to use on my model railroad.
I am going to start off building the very basic beginners projects from Arduino and go from there. If I find I can understand what I am doing I would then purchases a computer W/Windows 10 for programming if I needed it. :o :D

Thanks
Choochoo

bensimmo

Re: Newb seeking Programming help

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:19 pm

The Pi can be your computer, it can also be a lot of your Arduino.

But they can also work together.

The Pi itself can control LEDs, react to switches, triggered relays, etc.
And also be you display, camera feed etc.

What sort of things are you wanting to control.

Have a quick look when you type
raspberry pi railway
Into Google

choochoojerry

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Thank You for getting back bensimmo. Right now I am not looking to control anything. All I want to do is to start building some beginner things from Arduino or who ever. I have been watching a You Tube that Arduino put up, it is with a guy named Mossimo also my one of my grandsons name (so how bad could this be) & it got me hooked and I want to start to build some of those Beginner projects to get familiar with this whole thing . I really know absolutely nothing about this entire platform. 1st I heard about it was 4 days ago on a model RR forum I belong to.
I am 77 yrs. old & don't really need a computer any more. I have been using a Google Chrome Laptop & it runs a Chrome OS & it is not able to handle the programming with out a lot of modification to the OS & I have done any programming ever . So I would even know where to begin to modify it & I don't want to spend $500 just for a Laptop W/ a Windows 10 Program. One of the guys on the Arduino Forum said that Raspberry Pi would serve my needs for learning about this & to start building these beginners projects.
I went to the Pi for sale page & I found it very informative but it was like looking at a foreign language instruction sheet. I could understand it but really didn't know what I needed to get started. So here I am. Can you help me?

Thanks in Advance
Choochoo Jerry :D

bensimmo

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am

My advice is buy a Raspberry Pi 3
You'll need one of the tiny microSD cards too
You can either use a TV (or monitor, easiest if it has a HDMI connector as most modern ones do ), mouse and Keyboard (makes it easy)
You then end up with a computer, like Windows 10 but a bit different and perfect for programming.

Hopefully someone else can come along and mention the Arduino side of it as I don't know it too well.

Too others reading
1) how way is it to write Raspbian to the SD card from a Chrome Book

2) Can x86 Raspberry Pi desktop run on these Chrome Books?

jbudd

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm

If I understand you right, you want to be able to program an Arduino and are considering buying a Raspberry Pi for the job.

There are three questions that occur to me:
Can you set up the Pi SD card from the chromebook?
Can you use the chromebook as a monitor / keyboard for the Pi?
Can you program the Arduino from the Pi?

The answers to all of these seem to be yes, but not very easily.

In your place I'd consider a cheap second hand laptop, an XP one maybe, rather than a Pi. Then you can install the Arduino IDE and connect to the Arduino by USB.

For what it's worth, a Pi can do many of the same jobs as an Arduino. So long as you can set up the sd card to start with, and have a USB keyboard and TV with HDMI input, you could focus on the Pi instead of Arduino. If for no other reason: this forum can give you lots of support.

choochoojerry

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Thank You Guys; That is what I wanted to know. If it would be better & easier to buy a laptop ( new or used) W/windows 10 or take the time & effort & cost to put it all together W/ Pi components ? I think I will look for a laptop W/ windows 10.
Thank You

Torncull

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:26 am

As you want infomation on model railways. I would say starting with the Pi is not where you want to be. You need to investigate a train control sytem first. That will then wire into the railroad. So your look at running a JMRI project. See http://jmri.sourceforge.net/
Before you go an buy another computer I would try getting it to run on what you have got first.

The reason why the Pi gets a mention:

The thing about the Pi is it can run JMRI http://jmri.org/install/Raspbian.shtml
and be wired in http://jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/pi/index.shtml

However if I was you. I would research JMRI train builds to death first before starting spending cash on anything. :)

Return to “Beginners”