xtbe

Led without breadboard

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner with LEDs on the Raspberry PI
If i'm correct a breadboard is used to make building circuits easier.

The pictures I see are all placing the leds on the breadboard but my question is how can you "extend" the length of a led so that it can be placed/sticked somewhere farther away. Eg you place the Raspberry Pi (or intermediate breadboard on a chest) and you want to have the led be placed on the side of the closet with an "extension" cable.

I added a link below with a very basic drawing with what I mean. What I am after is how I can achieve the wiring that is in red (or in other words how to extend the led from the breadboard to somewhere else)

Link: https://i.imgur.com/grBmE76.png

Is this possible and what is the easiest way to get started with that?

Thanks in advance

jbudd

Re: Led without breadboard

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Theres nothing to stop you soldering long wires to the legs of your LED.
But you should bear in mind the resistance of the wires.
On a breadboard you have to have a resistor in the circuit or else the LED will burn out.
With longer wires you probably still need a resistor, but the ideal value may be lower than for a breadboard setup.

davidcoton

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:39 pm

jbudd wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:26 pm
Theres nothing to stop you soldering long wires to the legs of your LED.
But you should bear in mind the resistance of the wires.
On a breadboard you have to have a resistor in the circuit or else the LED will burn out.
With longer wires you probably still need a resistor, but the ideal value may be lower than for a breadboard setup.
A metre or so of wire will not have significant resistance, so you should not need to change the resistor.
Make sure the soldered connections are insulated from each other.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

FelixDieKatze

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

A Breadboard is a testing , experiment aid that enables you to quickly connect the components of a project together. Once you have decided that your design is as you want it and works ok you move to the Physical deployment stage. The breadboard would be discarded and junction boxes and longer lengths of wire run to establish the finished project. I would only consider using a Breadboard in a non experimental environment if it was going to be very temporary. ;)

Return to “Beginners”