marcel_911

Before I start project, point in right direction please.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi,
I have just received my Raspberry PI 3 Model B and I want to use it for a simple project but would like a pointer to the best way to go, i.e. which distro to use.

I am making a device for use without a keyboard or monitor, so I need it to boot and run my app automatically.
I will have a monitor and keyboard available for development.

What the device will do is take input from a barcode scanner (scanner simulates keyboard input) then print out the content of the barcode on a Zebra printer.

That's it, pretty much.

The barcodes I read will be Code128. They will contain a short SKU and I want that printed out large on a sticky label for attaching to the outside of a box.

Sometimes I may need to do a lookup and print out a different barcode on the label with some text.

I will need to update a CSV file with new data occasionally, ideally I want to do this via Wifi

Questions.
1) What would be the best distro for this use?
2) For updating the CSV file will it be easiest to just run a simple FTP server?
3) What would be the best language to write this in? I presume all distributions come with gnu C? It's been a while since I have used linux.

Thanks

topguy

Re: Before I start project, point in right direction please.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 am

1) If you have to ask, the answer is usually Raspbian. ( also in this case ;) )

2) Depends on what kind of machine you are updating from, but using pscp ( putty secure copy ) would be my favorite since you only need to enable SSH which you will do anyway. ( WinSCP is also an adequate program )

3) The one you know. Or maybe Python if you are a fast learner.

marcel_911

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks.

Had to wait for my sdcard to arrive. Just copied NOOBS over to it and am installing Raspbian.

fbe

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm

If you want to install Raspbian you should better get a Raspbian image and Etcher, not NOOBS. Your second try will be much easier with that as you don't have to repartition and format your SD card ;).

marcel_911

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 pm

fbe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm
If you want to install Raspbian you should better get a Raspbian image and Etcher, not NOOBS. Your second try will be much easier with that as you don't have to repartition and format your SD card ;).
Thanks for that tip.

The Pi I was working on was for use at work, but I bought one for myself for fun and am doing it this way.

bensimmo

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Once you have it all up and running and working.
Buy a Pi ZeroW
Get a card just the size needed and image what you have across.
Then run you scanner/printer from there.

You then have the Pi3 back for my fun and play.

The reason to use Raspbian over Noobs to Raspbian, is initial headless mode is that little bit easier. Though as you're doing it from a mouse/keyboard it shouldn't be a problem.

If you go into Raspberry Desktop setting (in the menu or via terminal, with sudo raspi-config ) you can enable both SSH (for remote text logging in) and VNC (for remote Desktop logging).
Then use whichever you are comfortable with for file transfer etc. (you can even do it from Android devices too, some apps will give you a normal icon file view).

Either in your router, find the setting to reserve an IP address for the Pi's mac address, so you always know the IP address, or scan for it (Fing is such a program) or some other way somebody will point out.

HELP is here, mainly the bottom parts
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
especially the Remote Access parts.

marcel_911

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 pm
Once you have it all up and running and working.
Buy a Pi ZeroW
That is a good suggestion. I need to have two of these scanner/printer combos although I am not paying for them and I don;t think the difference in price will make any difference.

I have my own now to play with anyway.

I never thought about a static IP address. At the moment I am using an app on my iPhone to locate the Pi. I think the DCHP on my BT router is set to start at 192.168.1.64 so I have plenty of numbers to choose without needing to change anything in the router.

It will be someone else updating the barcode file so I guess the static IP is one less thing for them to worry about.

I have a few other domestic projects in mind and I'm sure the ZeroW will be ideal.

Return to “Beginners”