bblackcmx

is it possible to use Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi + Access Point?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 and I would like to use it as an offline media server. Like I want to plug in an USB hard drive with content, and have it served via some media serving application like Kodi as DLNA compliant so my TV can pick it up. I would also like the use the Wifi on the Raspberry Pi 3 as an access point, since I do not have Internet access where the media server is going to be used, so my TV and tablet will need to connect to the Pi 3 wirelessly. I'm not sure how to go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fruitoftheloom

Re: is it possible to use Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi + Access Point?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm

bblackcmx wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 pm
I have a Raspberry Pi 3 and I would like to use it as an offline media server. Like I want to plug in an USB hard drive with content, and have it served via some media serving application like Kodi as DLNA compliant so my TV can pick it up. I would also like the use the Wifi on the Raspberry Pi 3 as an access point, since I do not have Internet access where the media server is going to be used, so my TV and tablet will need to connect to the Pi 3 wirelessly. I'm not sure how to go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/SurferTim/documentat ... connection

https://www.element14.com/community/com ... berry-pi-3
Adieu

bblackcmx

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Well I have been using plex on my home network. But plex requires an internet connection to "sign" in each time the plex app boots. I've been doing some reading about Ubuntu MATE + Kodi install, so I'm gonna try to build Kodi 17 along with the above info about how to set up Pi3 as an access point. Thanks for that info.

Rascas

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 am

Raspbian, install Kodi and install/configure hostapd. It is not dificult, the hardest is probably configuring hostapd but there are alot of tutorials to do that.

Return to “Beginners”