retrkdr

Details of using Terminal

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Greetings- I am a complete newb with Raspberry Pi 3 Model b. I burned Raspbian to sd card and it fired up great except that it can't get on the wifi. My wifi had WEP security on it and that was not liked. I prowled the forums and then got a quick education in wifi security schemes so changed my security to WPA2. Hovering over the red x'd wifi symbol shows "eth0:Link is down and wlan0:Not associated.
On the first pass when I tried to get in with WEP still in place nothing happened when I had the configuration done - or so I though. When I got the wpa_supplicant to show up, I have a final line between the curly parenthese wep_key0=" the original WEP password I entered".
I can't get the line removed. The preceding ssid, psk, and key-mgmt are all correct for the WPA security.
Am I on the right track? I need to know how to use the key commands along the bottom of the terminal for the first basic question. Does the upward pointing caret mean "Shift"?

dgordon42

Re: Details of using Terminal

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 pm

retrkdr wrote: I need to know how to use the key commands along the bottom of the terminal for the first basic question. Does the upward pointing caret mean "Shift"?
I'm guessing that you are trying to use the Nano text editor. In that case the upward pointing caret means "Control".
Some Nano Commands:
'Control + O' = Save file. Note that that's a small Oh, not a Zero.
'Control + X' = Exit the Nano Text Editor.

Using WPA2 WiFi security, your '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' file should look like this:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

country=IE

network={
        ssid="Your SSID"
        psk="Your Password"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Fill in your own Country code, SSID, and Password values.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

klricks

Re: Details of using Terminal

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:59 pm

retrkdr wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 pm
...I can't get the line removed.....
As mentioned you appear to be using the NANO text editor and not Terminal.
Use the arrow keys to navigate...... NOT the mouse.
Select text with [Shift] arrow keys
Use [Delete] or [Backspace] or [Ctrl] k to delete selected text.

You can use the mouse to select text for copy but remember the pasted text will appear at the cursor location NOT the mouse position.

If you prefer to use a GUI text editor then start leeafpad editor from the command line like this:

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”