Emma_Jir

Physical placement for a Raspberry Pi

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 am

Hello

i intend to use my RPi permanently in my household and built a physical "mountpoint". It's an acryl-glass board screwed to the wall with 2 steel pins that hold the Print itself without insulation. Between the RPi itself and the acrylic glass i used a peace of antistatic foil because i don't know if the acrylic glass might have some dielectric effects on the board.
Is there something else to keep in mind while using it?

alphanumeric

Re: Physical placement for a Raspberry Pi

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Why not just put a couple of washers or nuts on the screws between the Pi and the acrylic sheet? For spacers.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Anti-static materials work because they are electrical conductors. You do NOT want that material in contact with a circuit board that is powered on. Acrylic, on the other hand, is an electrical insulator, so being in contact with a circuit board is just fine.

HawaiianPi

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 pm

You could use some M2.5 spacers and nuts to hold the Pi slightly above the acrylic. Since most models other than the Pi Zero have components on the bottom of the board, you'll want some space there anyway. Here's a picture of a double stack case with a pair of single board computers using nylon M2.5 spacers and nuts to mount them. I have also used brass spacers, which is okay if they are small in diameter.

As W. H. Heydt said, anti-static materials are conductive. You don't want that in contact with any powered on circuit.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Emma_Jir

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Anti-static materials work because they are electrical conductors. You do NOT want that material in contact with a circuit board that is powered on. Acrylic, on the other hand, is an electrical insulator, so being in contact with a circuit board is just fine.
Thank you. I was wondering if any dielectric effects might influence any capacitive components. I didn't know that that foil was conductive.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Emma_Jir wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thank you. I was wondering if any dielectric effects might influence any capacitive components. I didn't know that that foil was conductive.
Basically it works by equalizing charges. To do that, it has to conduct and "bleed away" static before it can build up to the point of doing damage. Mind you, it's not going to be a *good* conductor, but it doesn't have to be to do its job.

Return to “Beginners”