brocode

Help with Apache2 server

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello everyone!

I am trying to get my Apache server to be found globally on the internet; However, I cannot access it on any device that is not connected to my WiFi connection.

What I've done so far:
Installed the Apache server

Open port forwarding on my router and set the traffic to my PI's ip address.

Lastly I have tested to make sure that the server is running by connecting to it within my private network.

My issue is that I though that I could open the port forwarding and then just type my ip address into any web browser (while off my network) and It would work. Is there a simple step that I am missing? I do apologize if this is a base question I am pretty new, hence this being on the beginners forum.

Thanks for the help!

oksage

Re: Help with Apache2 server

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:58 am

Never set up a server so can't really tell much about that, but I recommend putting more details in explaining what you've done so far. You're more likely to get help.

jiaman

Re: Help with Apache2 server

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 am

What router do you have?

You need to direct incoming packets on port 80 (or 443 if using HTTPS) to whatever port your apache server is running on the rpi's ip. You can find the apache server's port by looking in the conf file (should be in /etc/apache2/sitesavailable/) then whatever site .conf you had. It should be 80 by default.

Code: Select all

<VirtualHost *:80>
E.g. if my pi's LAN ip was 192.168.1.69, and the apache server was dealing with data coming in port 80. In my router I'd direct external port 80, to internal port 80 192.168.1.69.

You can verify that the port is open here: http://canyouseeme.org/.

Return to “Beginners”