Shinoro

Automatically backup network drive

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Hello,

I've read several articles regarding the possiblity to backup my network drives automatically, although I'm not really sure which method fits best in my situation:

Right now there are 7 workstations in our network, each running Windows 10. We have 1 network drive (ntfs, 1TB) that must be accessable to every workstation. I now need to backup this drive automatically every day. We don't have a server standing around, so there is no "master" workstation that could easily schedule the backup task. Furthermore I can't predict which workstation is going to be booted that day.
Another big problem is that my coworkers don't know anything about PC, so the way to restore our files (in case the drive breaks down) must be really easy. And by easy I mean "plug-and-play" easy.

I thought about connecting 2 HDD in a raid1 to the RPi, granting access to them to the network. Additionaly I need a method to create versioned backups every week.

Any recommendation on how to set this up is really appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

sora03

Re: Automatically backup network drive

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm

i have no idea on how to simlify the backup and restore process since the PCs are on different OS (windows and gnu/linux). You can create a cronjob on the Pi and execute a backup script that will access the windows pcs and transfers data to the drive. or you can search for syncthing as a sync but not backup solution
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

Return to “Beginners”