godvader
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:03 am

Hi guys I have already read couple of articles about cloning a SD Card of a raspberry pi. I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 B with Raspian.


I took out the SD card from the Pi connected it to my Windows PC. There I saw 3 new drives. 2 of them unreadable. One of them readable and called "RECOVERY". I cloned the E drive to a new image. And right now I have 2 questions:

- Did I successfully clone my pi? What happened to those unreadable partitions? I am going to buy two new raspberry Pi's and I want to make sure when I use this image I can easily use the setup I created in my first Pi.

- I am using a 16GB SD card and I only installed one app. Other than that it is all stock Raspian. But my image file is close to 15GB. I am pretty sure my SD card isn't that full. How can I fix this? I wanna be able to upload this image file to cloud and easily access it from everywhere but 15GBs is just way too big :(

Open to recommendations. Thanks in advance!

User avatar
KLL
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: thailand
Contact: Website

Re: Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:24 am

copy the NOOBS RECOVERY partition ( only ) would be useless
but as you talk about a 15GB image file;
a image read write would CLONE the full SD card and should work.

one tool to do that easy would be
RASPBIAN desktop menu /Accessories / SD Card Copier
( but you would need a external SD card "reader" with the NEW SDcard (8 or 16 GB )
yes, if you use now a 16GB but only installed one OS and only installed one program additionally
the content might fit on a 8GB SD card.

using a OLD setup is questionable, minimum you should do a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

first.

how many OS you installed with NOOBS / you frequently switch between?
if you only run ONE, like RASPBIAN
better download RASPBIAN image ( ONLY, not NOOBS )
and burn to SD card. ( using tools like ETCHER or Win32Diskimager )
- - it,s faster ( in boot ),
- - not confuse you about so many partitions
- - and not wastes 1GB SD card space if you have used full NOOBS.

for the 15GB (?16?) image file and upload to cloud?
- its mostly useless to keep that old images, esp. if it not really contains WORK.
( better just backup you work (files ) ( to USB stick, PC SAMBA share, dropbox...)
- you can ZIP it down to ?about 4GB? but still too big for online storage, PC harddisk ok
- you could have problems with restore to other 16GB cards. ( only same card or BIGGER (32GB) sure )

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 15065
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:04 am

godvader wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:03 am
Hi guys I have already read couple of articles about cloning a SD Card of a raspberry pi. I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 B with Raspian.


I took out the SD card from the Pi connected it to my Windows PC. There I saw 3 new drives. 2 of them unreadable. One of them readable and called "RECOVERY". I cloned the E drive to a new image. And right now I have 2 questions:

- Did I successfully clone my pi? What happened to those unreadable partitions? I am going to buy two new raspberry Pi's and I want to make sure when I use this image I can easily use the setup I created in my first Pi.

- I am using a 16GB SD card and I only installed one app. Other than that it is all stock Raspian. But my image file is close to 15GB. I am pretty sure my SD card isn't that full. How can I fix this? I wanna be able to upload this image file to cloud and easily access it from everywhere but 15GBs is just way too big :(

Open to recommendations. Thanks in advance!

NoobS has a unique Partitioning Scheme and you have not backed up:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained


As stated above buy yourself a USB SDHC Card Reader and a spare SD Card and use the SD Card Copier Tool in Raspbian..


IMO Noobs wastes space, therefore if all you want is Raspbian Stretch with Desktop just forget using Noobs:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

An 8GB SD Card will be sufficient..
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

godvader
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:04 am

NoobS has a unique Partitioning Scheme and you have not backed up:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained


As stated above buy yourself a USB SDHC Card Reader and a spare SD Card and use the SD Card Copier Tool in Raspbian..


IMO Noobs wastes space, therefore if all you want is Raspbian Stretch with Desktop just forget using Noobs:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

An 8GB SD Card will be sufficient..
My Raspberry Pi Kit came with noobs preinstalled so I didn't bother changing it. Besides it came with a 16GB SD Card which is more than enough storage for me.

I already own a SD Card reader and have couple SD Cards. After copying all the files to a new SD Card, Can I copy the files to my windows PC from that SD Card?

User avatar
KLL
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: thailand
Contact: Website

Re: Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am

again, for backup you can copy some files to SD card OR USB stick... and transport also this way to windows PC,

but you can not ( without some tools ) copy file from /home/pi/xxx as that partition is not easy readable by windows.
for that are different ways recommended ( samba shared path ...)

BUT

to make a bootable system SD card must use IMAGE way, read again my above post.

godvader
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

KLL wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am
again, for backup you can copy some files to SD card OR USB stick... and transport also this way to windows PC,

but you can not ( without some tools ) copy file from /home/pi/xxx as that partition is not easy readable by windows.
for that are different ways recommended ( samba shared path ...)

BUT

to make a bootable system SD card must use IMAGE way, read again my above post.
Thank you for the recommendations.

To make my problem clear: I have 2 Raspberry Pi's in another country. And I have one in my home. I want to be able to upload the latest version of my raspberry pi to cloud so the people taking care of the other Pi's can download it and easily install it. They are not tech savvy so I need to make things easier for them. That is why I tried creating an image file of my own pi. But the file size was just too big.

Also I heard that the SD Cards do fail occasionally or the files get corrupted. So the image should help in such situations too.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 15065
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Cloning SD Card, 3 partitions? Consumes too much space?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 am

godvader wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am
KLL wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am
again, for backup you can copy some files to SD card OR USB stick... and transport also this way to windows PC,

but you can not ( without some tools ) copy file from /home/pi/xxx as that partition is not easy readable by windows.
for that are different ways recommended ( samba shared path ...)

BUT

to make a bootable system SD card must use IMAGE way, read again my above post.
Thank you for the recommendations.

To make my problem clear: I have 2 Raspberry Pi's in another country. And I have one in my home. I want to be able to upload the latest version of my raspberry pi to cloud so the people taking care of the other Pi's can download it and easily install it. They are not tech savvy so I need to make things easier for them. That is why I tried creating an image file of my own pi. But the file size was just too big.

Also I heard that the SD Cards do fail occasionally or the files get corrupted. So the image should help in such situations too.

The biggest issue with Win32DiskImager is it makes an exact byte size copy and Windows itself does not recognise EXT partitions.

With Raspbian you only have 2 partitions, whilst with NoobS you have several, so what partitions do you shrink ?


This is an old Blog regarding shrinking Raspbian (not using NoobS):

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... -Pi-Image/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

Return to “Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 61 guests