abhi143

Tools to setup Pi 3 without keyboard or monitor

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am

I have a Pi 3, but I don't have a spare keyboard or monitor. I have laptop and I want to connect Pi 3 to my laptop so I don't need to extra keyboard, monitor and mouse. I don't have my own router. I use wireless router. I want to connect my Pi to wireless router.

I have been searching for tools and I found out some like putty, xming vnc ..etc Now I ma totally confuse . I don't understand which tool's I have to use ? Can someone tell me what tools I need to use to set up Pi 3 without keyboard monitor, muse ?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Tools to setup Pi 3 without keyboard or monitor

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am

abhi143 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am
I have a Pi 3, but I don't have a spare keyboard or monitor. I have laptop and I want to connect Pi 3 to my laptop so I don't need to extra keyboard, monitor and mouse. I don't have my own router. I use wireless router. I want to connect my Pi to wireless router.

I have been searching for tools and I found out some like putty, xming vnc ..etc Now I ma totally confuse . I don't understand which tool's I have to use ? Can someone tell me what tools I need to use to set up Pi 3 without keyboard monitor, muse ?

https://pihw.wordpress.com/guides/direc ... onnection/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

abhi143

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 am

I read the page you provided. I have window 10.

some other member told me in my previous post that if I do not have monitor keyboard, so I should not install noob

I found out by reading I have to use putty and xming tool. Is it enough? Should I install anything else ?

B.Goode

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am

some other member told me in my previous post that if I do not have monitor keyboard, so I should not install noob
That was me.

The NOOBS Installer provides a Graphical Utility to help with the installation and configuration of Operating Systems. It is designed for use with a conventional desktop display, mouse and keyboard. The author of the linked article provides workarounds for the limitation, and suggests an alternative.

But the tutorial you have been referred to concerns a wired Ethernet connection: your request was for use of a wireless Access Point.

This is all documented by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, but if you need additional help have look for one of the MANY posts by forum user @HawaiianPi which provide very detailed step-by-step instructions .

For example: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=191252&p=1234272#p1220111

abhi143

Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:36 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am
But the tutorial you have been referred to concerns a wired Ethernet connection: your request was for use of a wireless Access Point.

This is all documented by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, but if you need additional help have look for one of the MANY posts by forum user @HawaiianPi which provide very detailed step-by-step instructions .
Now I have enabled ssh I am able to see IP address of RP andI can login into board and I can see option to enter command via Putty. How to get GUI interface ?

B.Goode

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm

I can login into board and I can see option to enter command via Putty. How to get GUI interface ?
There are many ways. Here are 2:

1]
Run an X-Windows server such as XMing on the laptop. Initiate the ssh connection to the RPi with the x-windows forwarding option enabled. At the Raspbian shell (command line) prompt, enter:

Code: Select all

startlxde-pi
2]
Use vnc. Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Return to “Beginners”