Haris1977

Some questions about NOOBS (raspberry pi)

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Greetings. Just a few questions about noob os:

1) Can i install my images (e.g Openelec, raspbian, Recalbox) on a usb stick rather than sd card through the initial process? If yes how? (i know i will still need the sd card for booting..)

2) How much often the availability of OSes on your remote download repository is being updated? For example recalbox is being updated in a really frequent basis..

3) Will i be able to update individual os? E.g Libreelec, Recalbox through the standard procedure?

B.Goode

Re: Some questions about NOOBS (raspberry pi)

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

3) Will i be able to update individual os? E.g Libreelec, Recalbox through the standard procedure?
No.

From the NOOBS Installer documentation:
The NOOBS interface provides the following functionality:

Install: Installs the selected OSes onto your SD card. Changing this selection erases all OSes currently installed

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Haris1977 wrote:

1) Can i install my images (e.g Openelec, raspbian, Recalbox) on a usb stick rather than sd card through the initial process? If yes how? (i know i will still need the sd card for booting..)

2) How much often the availability of OSes on your remote download repository is being updated? For example recalbox is being updated in a really frequent basis..

If you want to go the NoobS route and want extra functionality then PINN may offer what you desire:

viewtopic.php?t=142574
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

KLL

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm

-1- i just used PINN ( not NOOBS)
to install some OS to a USB stick and boot(selected) it.
( note: i used a USB stick what was unwilling to boot with a USB boot enabled RPI3 )

-2- i used that PINN on a USB stick ( i know that one was "USB bootable" with RPI3)
( no SD card )
( possibly i was just lucky with that combination of 2 USB stick to boot, as usually that fails )

-3- i used "vncshare" in the recovery.cmdline
and used it all headless with the

-4- ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf file trick

W. H. Heydt

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Raspbian is updated fairly regularly by the RPF. For other OSes, they are at the mercy of the various maintainers to supply them with new images. Note that just because a new image isn't there doesn't mean that there are no updates. In Raspbian regularly runing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade will keep you current. (There are variations on those commands that may help as well, such as using apt-get dist-upgrade plus any additional commands mentioned in the RPF blog when major changes are made.)

Haris1977

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 pm
Haris1977 wrote:

If you want to go the NoobS route and want extra functionality then PINN may offer what you desire:

viewtopic.php?t=142574

At first i used PINN (rather than noobs) but i had problems in selecting which os to start:( I installed LibreElec and Recalbox but PINN continuously auto selected libreelec as the 1st booting os. On the other hand NOOBS gave me the possibility to use a keyboard and start the os that i wanted.

Maybe am i doing smth wrong?

KLL

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm
At first i used PINN (rather than noobs) but i had problems in selecting which os to start:( I installed LibreElec and Recalbox but PINN continuously auto selected libreelec as the 1st booting os. On the other hand NOOBS gave me the possibility to use a keyboard and start the os that i wanted.

Maybe am i doing smth wrong?
did you click the STICKY? on that libreelec in the PINN boot selection menu?

Haris1977

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 am

Yes i did. And it always boot into LE and it doesnt even let me choose the system i want.

Only thing i can do is to hit CTRL and enter recovery mode

KLL

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 am

-a- i never used the PINN- STICKY boot select
-b- and to avoid remote operation / boot selection timeout ...
i used the "forcetrigger" option what bring me ever to install menu,
and with exit it go boot select menu whenever i am ready.

so i think your problems with PINN where only operational.

procount

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm

@Haris1977 - don't click the "sticky default boot" option if you don't want that behaviour. See the documentation here -> https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... default-os
Haris1977 wrote:
Yes for both NOOBS and PINN although for NOOBS you have to pull down the OS install files yourself and copy them, to the /os folder of your USB stick. You should have a look at the /os folder of the full NOOBS installation to see what files you need for each OS.
PINN will now allow you to download those OSes directly to your USB stick, so you no longer have to do it manually.
Haris1977 wrote:
PINN pulls in OSes from 3 different sources: Raspberry Pi website, PINN and Matt Hausman's (mostly gaming related) website. Each has their own update schedule. But this is only relevant if you want to completely reinstall the OS, which currently will wipe the whole drive. In a lot of cases each OS can be upgraded using the usual package managers (apt-get etc).
Haris1977 wrote:
See 2). If by "standard procedure" you mean a package manager like apt-get, then it depends on the os.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Haris1977

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 pm

procount wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm
If by "standard procedure" you mean a package manager like apt-get, then it depends on the os.
I just used NOOBS to update LibreElec image (and as NOOBS has the latest 8.2.0.1 i used *8.0.2 image* to downgrade) only to see if the update/downgrade procedure works and..it works.. (i just put the appropriate *gz file in the *.update folder).

Thanks for your help though. Will try PINN asap. Maybe smth broke my installation..

I tried to use PINN with my tv remote (cec) to control in which os i wanted to boot (arrow keys up and down) but it just moved the mouse cursor. Is that the normal behaviour? I thought i could use it like berryboot (up/down keys and enter).
Last edited by Haris1977 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

procount

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Thanks for your help though. Will try PINN asap. Maybe smth broke my installation..
Sounds like it was working as expected - i.e, the same as NOOBS but with extra features. Just don't click the Sticky checkbox in the boot selection window next time - that forces the selected OS to load quicker, instead of using the countdown/selection.
Haris1977 wrote:
And an other question: I tried to use my tv remote (cec) to control in which os i wanted to boot (arrow keys up and down) but it just moved the mouse cursor.
Is that the normal behaviour? I thought i could use it like berryboot...
Yes it is normal. CEC is implemented differently by each manufacturer and they don't always make the same keys available on the TV remote . So I chose a common subset to work with the majority of TVs in the same way. By emulating the mouse all PINN features are available rather than just OS selection. If you have a compatible make, then the program channel up/down keys can be used to select OSes. See the documentation for which keys do what -> https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... 11-onwards
Maybe in the future I will make them programmable.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Haris1977

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:56 pm

procount wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm
Haris1977 wrote:
Sounds like it was working as expected - i.e, the same as NOOBS but with extra features. Just don't click the Sticky checkbox in the boot selection window next time - that forces the selected OS to load quicker, instead of using the countdown/selection.
Oh i see. That 's why i couldnt make it work then. In the end of installation i had ticked the LibreElec app and then i pressed the BOOT tab. I guess this made the app always boot into LE. Next time i will just press BOOT then (with nothing ticked) at the end of installation..

As for the CEC I was trying to use UP+DOWN arrow keys of my Samsung TV (as this makes more sense) and not Channel Up/Down keys :| I think you should change CHANNEL Up/DOWN to UP/DOWN and PLAY to ENTER (there is no really need in mouse emulation. If someone wants it he can plug a keyboard/mouse do his job and then unplug it - it is not a big deal). Or better make a selection menu to disable mouse cec emulation and only emulate UP/DOWN and ENTER key ;)

99% of the times we just want to boot in different os's with our remote tv and nothing else. Just my thought:)

Will try it again now :)

PS How can i extend the 10 second boot to os option? I think 10 seconds is a short time 4 me..

procount

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Haris1977

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:31 pm

I just finished reading the *.md. Thanks again :P

Return to “Beginners”