sooms

I need help to run windows games on a PI.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 am

I simply want to download games onto my Raspberry pi 3 and play them, but I can't find a solution since there's only stupid game streaming and retro gaming emulator tutorials on youtube. I've tried to do things on Raspbian but it can't run .exe files. I'm seriously confused right now, and I would love to know if I can actually play games on this thing or if it's only for programming, which would mean I have wasted my money.

ghans

Re: I need help with stuff

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am

You've wasted your money. The Pi doesn't run Wintel/x86 software. Beg your publishers
to rewrite their stuff for ARM and hope they do it for free.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kjadhav

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 am

Ask your vendor about this subject. Thanks!

rpiMike

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Have you looked at the Games List sticky in the Gaming section :

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794

What sort of games are you after ?

fruitoftheloom

Re: I need help to run windows games on a PI.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:57 pm

sooms wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 am
I simply want to download games onto my Raspberry pi 3 and play them, but I can't find a solution since there's only stupid game streaming and retro gaming emulator tutorials on youtube. I've tried to do things on Raspbian but it can't run .exe files. I'm seriously confused right now, and I would love to know if I can actually play games on this thing or if it's only for programming, which would mean I have wasted my money.

https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

steveb4pi

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Sorry, but the B3 is way too slow for the average PC game .. in fact it can hardly run a modern web Browser with more than one tab open...and is hard pushed to run Android (which, if you do get it running, will be about the only way to 'download a game and run it' )

The B3 is about equivalent to a 20 year old PC ... which is why the 'focus' is on 'Retro' (20yr old) games that ran on 20yr old PC's

fruitoftheloom

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:33 pm

steveb4pi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:22 pm
Sorry, but the B3 is way too slow for the average PC game .. in fact it can hardly run a modern web Browser with more than one tab open...and is hard pushed to run Android (which, if you do get it running, will be about the only way to 'download a game and run it' )

The B3 is about equivalent to a 20 year old PC ... which is why the 'focus' is on 'Retro' (20yr old) games that ran on 20yr old PC's

WoW ! Misinformation.

The RPi has ARM CPU architecture, games consoles or Windows Machines do not use this Architecture. Therefore emulation, which is slow, is the only way to run most games.

The OP is trying to run Windows based games designed for machines with x86 CPU architecture.

As stated above the OP has not investigated that the RPi was actually created for Learning :

https://www.raspberrypi.org/about/
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

sooms

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 pm

great. now I've wasted £60 worth of money for a stupid computer that can't even run .exe files. pathetic.

rpdom

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:47 pm

sooms wrote:
great. now I've wasted £60 worth of money for a stupid computer that can't even run .exe files. pathetic.
Was the Pi advertised as being able to run stupid .exe files? I don't think so. I can't remember the last time I had to run a .exe file on anything.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:51 pm

sooms wrote:
Sell it on https://www.ebay.co.uk
Or look at what it CAN do and start learning how computers really work.

There's nothing stupid about a Raspberry Pi that isn't usually attributed to the wetware that's running it.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 pm

sooms wrote:
.exe files are a format specific to Microsoft. More to the point, Windows only runs on the Intel/AMD x86 CPU architecture. All Pis use CPUs built to the ARM architecture. The machine language is different between the two designs. The whole point of the Pi is that it is inexepensive and--therefore--suitable to allow kids to learn with because if they break it, replacement cost is minimal. That older games can be run under various simulators is simply a pleasant surprise.

apoldion

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:09 pm

sooms wrote:
I know, it's all hype mate, I wasted 120quid by buying two, one for getting me into space, and another to dig the garden which broke after a couple of uses. Absolutely enraged here like.

If it's any consolation, they taste nice.

gkaiseril

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 pm

sooms wrote:
The computer may not be stupid. You need to lean more about how things work. For example, if I buy a car with a diesel engine I should not expect it to be able to use gasoline.

Ever read the comparability or system requirements for computer programs. They spell out what the computer requirements are as the the CPU, the memory, processor speed, etc. The type of CPU is very important as that need to process the machine code in the executable file. The executable file consist of machine code for a very specific type of CPU or compatible group of CPUs. The machine code is very specific for a group of CPUs. Intel x86 CPUs use a very different set of machine code instructions from an ARM chip.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

drgeoff

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 pm

There is a very old saying about a fool and his money. Seems it is still as applicable now as it was back then. :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Imperf3kt

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 pm

You can run more than just retro games on a Pi, depending on what you want. Some pretty cool games can be made with PyGame and similar.
A lot are crap or retro, but there are some good ones in there and yes, you can just "download and play" them.

Now, to satiate my own entertainment from the misfortune of others, after you saw all those "stupid" youtube videos about retro gaming and nothing about modern gaming, how did it not occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the Pi isn't going to run Grand Theft Auto 20 on ultra max über eye-candy 16k Super Ultra Infinite Definition with 24,000 frames per second. Thats why we have toasters!

Or did you buy the Pi first and then decide to see what it can do? Do you buy strange electronics you know nothing about on a regular basis?
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Return to “Beginners”