bjornar

Raspian Boot up never stoppes, can't login.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi,

I have the Raspberry Pi 2 with Raspian Jessie lite. I run the home automation system Domtoicz on it, and it works great. Today I connected the Pi to my tv and started it. Everything looks normal in the beginning, Domoticz is starting up and is working but the boot sequence will never stopp so I never reaches the login as I always have done previously. Are there any commands/keys I can press to get there? I've tried ecs, enter and all the F1,F2 etc buttons.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Best regards Bjørnar

KLL

Re: Raspian Boot up never stoppes, can't login.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 am

just buy a new SD card and setup again.

steveb4pi

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 am

If the problem is a corrupted SD card, then 'starting again' may well be your only choice ...

HOWEVER a common cause of re-booting is a power supply problem ... since you mention home automation, I wonder if you are powering the Pi from some 'common' 5v supply that is also powering other devices .. devices that 'come on' when the Pi nears the end of it's boot sequence (and causing a power-glitch or low volts at the Pi) ???

If so, try running the Pi from a battery i.e. a 'Power Bank' (you can find them in Poundland for £1) ...

You can also try unpluging everything EXCEPT the Pi, the Pi power supply and the TV..

bjornar

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 am

Thank you so much for the replies.
I tried booting up with just Ethernet, hdmi and power this time, disconnected keyboard and Z-stick Gen5 (z-wave interface for home automation) this made no change. FYI, the powersupply is a USB charger output 5V dc 2.1A.

I will try with a new sdcard when I have the time and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again, regards Bjørnar

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:40 pm

bjornar wrote: Thank you so much for the replies.
I tried booting up with just Ethernet, hdmi and power this time, disconnected keyboard and Z-stick Gen5 (z-wave interface for home automation) this made no change. FYI, the powersupply is a USB charger output 5V dc 2.1A.

I will try with a new sdcard when I have the time and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again, regards Bjørnar
If it is, literally, a charger, and not a (true) power supply (they're not the same) then it may not be able to provide both 5V and 2.1A at the same time. (FWIW, see the "USB Power Supplies" section of my website for examples of the loading behaviour of quite a few different devices - yours may even be there)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

bjornar

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for all replies.

Yesterday I formated the SD card and installed Noobs stretch. Then reinstalled my home automation system, restored the old data. Now everything is back in normal :D

Return to “Beginners”