seanspotatobusiness

Feature request: make it easier to customise desktop and start menu shortcuts

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 pm

I just tried to drag a shortcut from the program menu to the desktop and it didn't work; I was disappointed. I tried to right click and selected "Add to desktop" and a text file was created on the desktiop instead of a shortcut (to the terminal). Why does everything have to be so difficult? Why does something as simple as making a desktop shortcut require an Internet search and study period?
Raspberry Pi 3
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"

Imperf3kt

Re: Feature request: make it easier to customise desktop and start menu shortcuts

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 pm

The Raspberry Pi is a learning apparatus at its core, so in effect, isn't it doing its job by making you need to Google simple tasks?
Pi3b - 'normal use' temperature (25% CPU load) 76℃, ambient 21℃

seanspotatobusiness

Re: Feature request: make it easier to customise desktop and start menu shortcuts

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 pm
The Raspberry Pi is a learning apparatus at its core, so in effect, isn't it doing its job by making you need to Google simple tasks?
Well the effect is, I just wont make shortcuts because it's not worth the time it takes compared to using the program menu, so no, it's not doing it's job. No-one is interested in learning for its own sake; people want to learn so they can do specific things. If I just wanted to learn, I'd just grab the nearest text book and go through it from start to finish. It's absolutely unbelievable that you defend this poor usability and you are the reason Linux is so unpopular among typical users. Maybe you turn on your computer just to screw around but I switch mine on with specific goals in mind and the longer it takes to do things, the less I get done.
Raspberry Pi 3
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"

Imperf3kt

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:26 pm

I think you missed the subtle sarcasm, directed at the Pi foundation.
A glance at my signature may help you understand what I had meant.

In short, the Pi is not user friendly to beginners but nobody working on it is in any hurry to simplify things because it defeats part of the Pi's purpose. If you want these features, they expect you to learn how to implement them which is reasonable enough, but in my opinion such an ethic causes a lot of people to 'lol nope' out and give up / accept the way things are, effectively making the Pi achieve the exact opposite of its intended purpose.
Your reply being a prime example.

And for the record, I absolutely hate Linux. I only use it because I don't have a choice on the Raspberry Pi.
Pi3b - 'normal use' temperature (25% CPU load) 76℃, ambient 21℃

KLL

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 pm

yes, and it's my fault that you don't know about the [ALT]drag
[solved]
Last edited by KLL on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:09 am

seanspotatobusiness wrote:
No-one is interested in learning for its own sake...
Don't be too sure about that.

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm

No-one is interested in learning for its own sake; people want to learn so they can do specific things. If I just wanted to learn, I'd just grab the nearest text book and go through it from start to finish.
That's absolute, complete, total nonsense.

Some of us have a pressing desire to learn something new every day. The Raspberry Pi Foundation have gone an extremely long way in helping me to do that (although often my day job that I've been doing for 36 years turns up something interesting).

If you want everything handed to you on a plate and don't want to learn anything new then send your RPi back, get your money back, add ten times the value then buy an Apple OSX device or a Windows Laptop.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

seanspotatobusiness

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm

What is the point in learning something new every day if it's not applicable in another situation? I doubt you do enjoy learning for its own sake; I guess you want to learn something that you can use later down the line. Learning to drag icons onto the Pi desktop is not something I will use again and again in the future so I've no interest in learning what unique way the Pi makes this happen. I suppose you'd support keyboard shortcuts randomising every day so you could spend your time learning useless junk instead of actually achieving something?
Raspberry Pi 3
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"

Paeryn

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:12 am

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm
What is the point in learning something new every day if it's not applicable in another situation? I doubt you do enjoy learning for its own sake;
Some people really do enjoy learning, just like some people like watching films or reading books. It's not as though doing either of those things will generally give you anything useful for other situations either but plenty of people still do them.

Personally I've spent the past 25-30 years learning many different programming languages, I use about 3 or 4 mostly, the others were just because I'm interested in things like that, I'll probably never use most of them ever again and I knew that when I started but I enjoy it and I'll keep learning new ones as long as people keep creating them.

Life would be very dull if we only ever did things just because we needed to, and who knows, that tid-bit of information you learnt last year that you didn't think would ever be needed might actually be helpful in your next job.
She who travels light — forgot something.

Burngate

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Hmm
Over the years, I've bought a dozen or so new-to-me cars.
The major controls - accelerator, brake, clutch, steering wheel - have always been the in the same place and work the same way, so what I learned at age 18 is still applicable today.
Windscreen wipers - my Volvo needs a stalk to be shifted in the opposite direction to my daughter's VW. But what makes the rear wiper move? Push a lever? Pull another? Press a button?
Same with the headlights - pull to go to main and push to dip, or pull to raise and pull again to dip? - which worried an ambulance driver when I got it wrong on my Datsun 240C - he thought I was flashing him when I was just trying not to dazzle him.
TLDR we all go through a learning process when we get something new.

Same with computers - Windows systems have a different set of protocols from Linux, and they're both different from Macs and RiscOs. Most of the main controls are the same, but the ancillaries can be slightly or very different.

If you don't want to learn something new, stick to your early Citroen BX. It's still a good(ish) car, and does what you bought it for, and the indicator switch is still on the centre of the dashboard where you're used to, instead of on one of these new-fangled stalks.

B.Goode

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Over the years, I've bought a dozen or so new-to-me cars.
Why go to the expense of buying a car and learning how to drive it?

21st century kids have an app on their smartphone that allows them to summon up a car complete with driver whenever they need one.

Why learn to play a musical instrument when you can download or stream any piece of music from any era anywhere in the world.

Why invest in learning skills that might make you self-sufficient when 'The Market' can satisfy all your needs in exchange for a few bitcoin?

[At the risk of diluting the impact, that is intended broadly in support of the view expressed by @burngate... ]

gkaiseril

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 pm

If someone had not taken the time to learn new things, there might not be a Raspberry Pi computer.

We would still be paying other to do our maths.

We would still be using vacuum tubes or valves instead of transistors and ICs.

We still might be living in trees and eating raw food.

Return to “Beginners”