InterClaw

Updating Deluge

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 am

Hi,

Sorry, if this is a very stupid question or if it's asked in the wrong place to the wrong people. This might just be me being a novice on Linux systems overall.

I've installed Deluge on my Raspberry Pi 3 using this guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to ... rrent-box/

I'm remote controlling it via the Windows client on another computer. So far so good.

My "problem" is that the Windows client is running Deluge 1.3.15 and the daemon on the Raspberry Pi is version 1.3.10. It still works, but I'm getting reminders that there's an update available. The Daemon was installed in the guide using this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install deluged

However, I'm not getting the update. I've tried these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo atp-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update

I believe there are other ways of "forcing" a newer version onto the Raspberry Pi, but I also believe that they might not be designed for this small system.

By not getting any updated version with the commands above, am I right in assuming there is no updated version designed for Raspberry Pi? If so, who should I approach to inquire about making such an update available?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Updating Deluge

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm

InterClaw wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 am
Hi,

Sorry, if this is a very stupid question or if it's asked in the wrong place to the wrong people. This might just be me being a novice on Linux systems overall.

I've installed Deluge on my Raspberry Pi 3 using this guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to ... rrent-box/

I'm remote controlling it via the Windows client on another computer. So far so good.

My "problem" is that the Windows client is running Deluge 1.3.15 and the daemon on the Raspberry Pi is version 1.3.10. It still works, but I'm getting reminders that there's an update available. The Daemon was installed in the guide using this command:

sudo apt-get install deluged

However, I'm not getting the update. I've tried these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo atp-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update

I believe there are other ways of "forcing" a newer version onto the Raspberry Pi, but I also believe that they might not be designed for this small system.

By not getting any updated version with the commands above, am I right in assuming there is no updated version designed for Raspberry Pi? If so, who should I approach to inquire about making such an update available?

Firstly you should not run rpi-update it will install a testing kernel, likely can cause issues.

Secondly you appear to be running Raspbian Jessie which is now end of life.

Thirdly Debian which Raspbian is based on have a very consevative approach to updating packages, if want latest and greatest a rolling release like Arch will get you version 1.3.15

Forth Raspbian Stretch has version 1.3.13 and was released in August 2017:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

Last but not least if you want the latest and greatest Deluge in Raspbian you will need to build from Source..
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

InterClaw

Re: Updating Deluge

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks for the reply! Didn't realize what rpi-update meant. I started by reverting (I think?) by doing this as found here: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/issues/222

sudo BRANCH=stable rpi-update

(Perhaps this command is pointless if I'm going to upgrade to Stretch directly afterwards, don't know exactly, but I tried it anyway.)

Then proceeded with the upgrade from Jessie to Stretch and when everything was done Deluge was at version 1.3.13 like you said.

I'm in no rush really and don't need the very latest version. I was mainly curious how it worked with the versions. :)

Return to “Beginners”