tony1812
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: Boston MA.

pi boot pi from external usb drive

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi I follow this guild https://www.maketecheasier.com/boot-up- ... hard-disk/. Did everything it says. Than I try to boot from the USB drive with the SD card inserted. At boot screen line 33, I got a kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8.0). What is wrong? Thanks.

fbe
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Put your SD-card into a computer and recover cmdline.txt.bak to cmdline.txt. Your PI should boot then from SD-card.
Check if there is a /dev/sda1 partition on your harddisk. The "guide" adviced you to mount /dev/sda and there are pictures, that suggest "root=/dev/sda1". I wouldn't follow that guide. Ask there, not here, if this doesn't help.

B.Goode
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 am

The documentation provided by the Raspberry Pi Foundation for booting an RPi3 from a mass storage device looks much less complicated than that 3rd party site, and it works for me.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

User avatar
KLL
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: thailand
Contact: Website

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 am

@B.Goode
OP boots from USB already

B.Goode
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 am

KLL wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 am
@B.Goode
OP boots from USB already
I thought the OP wanted to boot from mass storage but was failing.

Even if your interpretation is correct, doing it the RPF way will allow reverting to booting from the microSD card without any fuss.

tony1812
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: Boston MA.

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Thank you for al the reply. A lot of posts make the process so much more complicated then it needs to be. After play around for a while, I found out boot from a USB harddrive is really a lot easier then I initially thought. I found quite a few old 2.5" SATA drives from my old laptops collecting dusts. I formated one of them to ext4, with a USB adaptor, I plug it into the pi. Use the SD Card Copier made a clone of the SD card. Then I copied the boot partition to a 2G SD as the boot loader, edited the the cmdline,txt on the SD card. Now I have a woopy 120 G on my big piece of Pi. Yum! :-p

asandford
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Ealing

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:05 am

tony1812 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm
Thank you for al the reply. A lot of posts make the process so much more complicated then it needs to be. After play around for a while, I found out boot from a USB harddrive is really a lot easier then I initially thought. I found quite a few old 2.5" SATA drives from my old laptops collecting dusts. I formated one of them to ext4, with a USB adaptor, I plug it into the pi. Use the SD Card Copier made a clone of the SD card. Then I copied the boot partition to a 2G SD as the boot loader, edited the the cmdline,txt on the SD card. Now I have a woopy 120 G on my big piece of Pi. Yum! :-p
Glad you got it sorted. Althought that blog post is fairly recent, you should consider anything over 6 months old as out of date (Raspbian recently changed from jessie to stretch which has introduced some additional gotchas).

Also there is the problem with the meaning of boot from hdd as the Pi3 can boot from one with or without an SD card.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 30142
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am

B.Goode wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 am
The documentation provided by the Raspberry Pi Foundation for booting an RPi3 from a mass storage device looks much less complicated than that 3rd party site, and it works for me.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md
I wrote a forum post based on that. I had a RPi2B running as dnsmasq, NFS server and TFTP server.
viewtopic.php?p=1084100#p1084100
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

asandford
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Ealing

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am
B.Goode wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 am
The documentation provided by the Raspberry Pi Foundation for booting an RPi3 from a mass storage device looks much less complicated than that 3rd party site, and it works for me.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md
I wrote a forum post based on that. I had a RPi2B running as dnsmasq, NFS server and TFTP server.
viewtopic.php?p=1084100#p1084100
The OP wasn't asking about non-sd booting (or even minimal sd card booting), they wanted to move the root partion to an hdd.

They could even boot from a iscsi device (again, something they didn't ask for), but I won't self-promote my own posts for a method.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 30142
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 am

The standard docs for booting a RPi3B or RPi2B2 from a USB device just work.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

You get a SDcard, add a line to config.txt to enable USB boot. Boot that once.
dd the SDcard over the USB device
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=100M
sudo poweroff

Pull the SDCard and power back on.

Zero rocket science needed. I don't know why folks find it so hard. I have three 3Bs that all boot from USB devices.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

asandford
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Ealing

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:12 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 am
The standard docs for booting a RPi3B or RPi2B2 from a USB device just work.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

You get a SDcard, add a line to config.txt to enable USB boot. Boot that once.
dd the SDcard over the USB device
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=100M
sudo poweroff

Pull the SDCard and power back on.

Zero rocket science needed. I don't know why folks find it so hard. I have three 3Bs that all boot from USB devices.
Good for you.

Again you've failed to read the requirements of the OP. They don't want to boot from an external HDD, they want the root partition on an external HDD and boot from SD (read the link in the OP's opening post - Zero rocket science needed. I don't know why folks find it so hard to read what others are asking).

TudorJ
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 pm
Location: Cockfosters

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm

From my interpretation of what the OP wants is to boot from a USB drive, but with a SD card inserted. That’s what he said. From my understanding of USB boot, the only way you can perhaps achieve this is to have an SD card inserted that does not have a boot partition on it! Why you would want this I do not know. One of my Pi3s works great from an SSD with no SD card.

NavyVette87
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Trying to use usb boot. Already did the cmdline edit, and the test. it returned 1020000a, when I tried the sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=100M line it didnt do anything, didnt return to the prompt. I rebooted via gui, it came back up fine. Any other ways tested/working for pi2b? The usb has respain img on it.

User avatar
KLL
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: thailand
Contact: Website

Re: pi boot pi from external usb drive

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:09 am

NavyVette87 wrote:I tried the sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=100M
there are many ways to make a USB stick, all same as using a SD card.
wanting a copy from the actual system can also use
RASPBIAN Desktop "SD card copier" tool.

but one of many possible problems might be that THIS usb stick can not boot...
to find out if the problem with the usb stick or the board:
the very first test should be to remove the SD card, put it in a usb card reader and try boot from there.
update: well for the SD card reader there is the same problem as for the USB stick, not all are bootable on RPI
my / anitech Model RA410 / is bootable, but i just buy
Image
( for about 13euro )
and did a SD card copy to it, using its included USB reader.
+ + SD card good ?also fast?
- - SD card in its USB reader not boot in RPI3
+ + SD card in anitech USB card reader boot OK

but your problem might be you not read USB BOOT MANUAL
OTP boot enable works for RPI3
read again how to use RPI2
last resort is the bootcode.bin SD card way.

Return to “Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests