jscax

Powering Pi Zero with a 240V AC - 5V DC module

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 am

Hi, I'm completely new to Rasp world.
Is anyone using a 240V AC to 5V DC power module like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... Title=true

I would like to power a Raspberry Pi Zero without using a socket wall charger and microusb, but using such a module.

Is that item suitable? Is there anything I'm missing?

thank you

klricks

Re: Powering Pi Zero with a 240V AC - 5V DC module

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm

This is not suitable for your purpose.
The item appears to be used. The AC input and DC output wires were cut off.
In order to use you would need to remove the old wires and solder on a new mains AC power cord with wall plug.
You would then need to purchase a micro USB connector and solder wires from the connector to the board.
The board would need to be enclosed in a box.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

pcmanbob

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm

So you want to use this psu

which will require you to added new mains wiring and a new micro USB lead and then put it all in a nice safe box.

all that rather than use some thing like this

WHY ? it will be bigger and no were near as neat and tidy and you may just electrocute yourself while you are trying to make your psu.

DON'T do it just go buy some ready made.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jscax

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 pm

The point is that I have to put everything in a very little box where I don't have enough room for the socket female and the bulky electric socket charger. And I can't put it outside of the box as I am on a white vertical wall.

It seemed a "obvious" solution to me, as all we need is 5V DC not a microUSB...
For the same principle I don't understand why none is selling a case with PSU embedded equipped with an electric plug in for 240V AC.

I can get through this shock :shock: :mrgreen:

thank you for your kind answers

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1IJvINjYE mmh :idea:

RaTTuS

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:12 pm

if you want to badger around with a open psu use https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AC-110V ... 37298.html
and wire it to a good plug in your new case , and a nice fat micro USB lead to power your PI
there are other things that you could use but this would be OK {YMMV]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pcmanbob

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Well you are still going to have a mains lead running from your box to a socket somewhere, if you went for the raspberrypi.org psu they are white with white usb cable.
Attachments
Power-supply-1-150x150.jpg
Power-supply-1-150x150.jpg (2.5 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jscax

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:28 pm

The AC wire is coming from inside the wall in the very same small box where there will be the Pi Zero too

scotty101

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Are you planning on wiring an appliance directly in to the mains without an approved plug/socket?
I hope you have a certified electrician on hand.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

davidcoton

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Since you are talking about 240V I assume you are in the UK, but similar consideration apply anywhere.

Are you familiar with UK wiring regulations and practices? You MUST supply any equipment through a suitably fused isolator.
Are you familiar with designing mains powered equipment to UK standards? Earthing or double insulation?
You may get through the "shock" of not being able to buy what you want. You may not get through the shock of touching the wrong wire at the wrong time. To be blunt, mains electricity can kill, or cause a fire.
Unless you are (or are closely supervised by someone who is) suitably qualified and experienced, don't mess with mains electricity.

Having said that, the module you linked is suitable IF, and only if, it is used properly. That is a big if.
You can connect the 5V supply to the appropriate GPIO pins of a Pi0, since the Pi0 has no power protection to bypass. If you get the connections wrong, you will destroy your Pi. I do not recommend this method for other Pi models.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

jscax

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

Ok guys, I've 40-60 days to think about this as the goods are shipping from China.
I confirm I'm completely fine with 220-240V AC and I don't encourage anyone to go through my same path.

I agree that the bulky socket power charger should be easier to manage and I will try to fit everything with the regular socket solution, if possible.

thank you again

boyoh

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:24 pm

jscax wrote:
Ok guys, I've 40-60 days to think about this as the goods are shipping from China.
I confirm I'm completely fine with 220-240V AC and I don't encourage anyone to go through my same path.

I agree that the bulky socket power charger should be easier to manage and I will try to fit everything with the regular socket solution, if possible.

thank you again
You say you are fine working with 220/240vac, Good you have just learnt something from the
post;s you have just read, Now you know the danger's of the unskilled working on mains voltages

BoyOh Retired Electrical / Electronic Technician
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

jscax

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 pm

boyoh wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:24 pm
jscax wrote:

thank you again
You say you are fine working with 220/240vac, Good you have just learnt something from the
post;s you have just read, Now you know the danger's of the unskilled working on mains voltages

BoyOh Retired Electrical / Electronic Technician
From those posts I learnt something about rasp and I thank the community for that, but nothing about electricity and nothing from your post :lol:

bkelly212

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm

jscax wrote:
Hi, I'm completely new to Rasp world.

I would like to power a Raspberry Pi Zero without using a socket wall charger and microusb, but using such a module.

Is that item suitable? Is there anything I'm missing?

thank you
why not use something easier to work with...I use these all the time (110v version, USA) down to 12v and then have a smaller one that steps 12v to 5v and runs my rPi and other relay boards with no issue. I need the 12v as well, but you could get away with just one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/BZONE-Regulated- ... verter+10a

hippy

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:53 am

jscax wrote:
Yes, I am doing exactly that and using something very similar to power my Pi Zero W.

5V wires direct to GPIO power pins, 240V mains cable direct to the module. As long as the 5V is isolated from mains, the module is rated for whatever current you are using, installed and used in accordance with electrical regulations, recommended practice is followed, there should not be any problems or issues.

steveb4pi

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am

Running mains into the 'project box' is never a good idea .. it's way too easy to fry the Pi (or the human :-).)

Better to 'double use' some other cable with 12v or 24v == so what other 'connections' do you have to the Pi box ??

IF the PI box is wired to Ethernet, a DIY Power over Ethernet (PoE) solutuon is the best choice .. (pair of 'injector' / 'spli out' cables are about £1 eBay, a 12v DC PSU (at the Router, injector end) is less than £2, and a 12v-5v DC-DC converter (at Pi, split-out end) is about 50p)
== I use this all the time (except with 12v 'injector' only as I'm using a Pi Zero + microUSB Ethernet dongle = lots of space inside for the DC-DC converter) & back-driving the Pi from the hub.

IF you are using the Pi + Pi camera & TVout (for analogue CCTV), you can use Power over Co-ax ... (most CCTV recorders have this option, you don't even need a seperate PSU = it's usually 12v (sometimes 24v = older units might even be 24v AC !) but do need DC-DC at Pi end)

IF you want a totally stand-alone solutuion (WiFi, no wires) then a Solar cell panel + PowerBank battery (DIY combo.) can be used for the Pi Zero(-W) although that starts to become very expensive as the power requirements go up eg for full 8Hr night-time use with lights..

Return to “Beginners”