p8m3

Sending live stream from Pi 3?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi, I was wondering if this would work: I'm trying to set up an audio stream on Youtube. I have a USB stick, there I store some music and a really short video at 720p (that is going to be looped). On the Pi I plan to download and install OBS. So my question is, is the Pi 3 powerful enough to stream these content I just mentioned? If so then I could skip the Intel NUC! Let me know if more info are needed, and thanks in advance for any insights!

topguy

Re: Sending live stream from Pi 3?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:26 am

OBS is a bit away from what the Raspberry Pi can support unless they have made a lot of special adaptations, and afaicg that is not a priority.

The Pi could probably do what you are asking but not using OBS, probably using "gstreamer" and probably with some specially build version of ffmpeg.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/youtub ... ng-docker/

p8m3

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:16 pm

topguy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:26 am
OBS is a bit away from what the Raspberry Pi can support unless they have made a lot of special adaptations, and afaicg that is not a priority.

The Pi could probably do what you are asking but not using OBS, probably using "gstreamer" and probably with some specially build version of ffmpeg.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/youtub ... ng-docker/
Firstly thanks for replying! I wasn't aware of compatibility issue, can you be a little more specific as what might not work? I do recall reading some posts from more than half year ago about OBS having problem in Linux. Although I see that OBS download page has included a version for Linux, that's why I was thinking it shouldn't be any problem, however I'm not 100% sure since I haven't tested.

Anyway, if a problem indeed occur, I suppose I can just do what you suggested, use another software. And so I suppose I will be getting one Pi 3 then! :D

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:48 pm

p8m3 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 pm
Hi, I was wondering if this would work: I'm trying to set up an audio stream on Youtube. I have a USB stick, there I store some music and a really short video at 720p (that is going to be looped). On the Pi I plan to download and install OBS. So my question is, is the Pi 3 powerful enough to stream these content I just mentioned? If so then I could skip the Intel NUC! Let me know if more info are needed, and thanks in advance for any insights!

Whilst OBS list Linux it appear to be for x86 CPU Architecture, the RPi has ARM CPU:

https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/wi ... structions

You will likely need to build from Source.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

avv

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 am

I'd say OBS is a bit too heavy for the PI. However, streaming to YouTube does work using ffmpeg and a RPI 3+. The 1 and 2 aren't fast enough..

If you google for 'ffmpeg stream YouTube', you'll find plenty of examples. Here in my local church, we're using a Foscam PTZ camera and a RaspBerry PI 3B+ to livestream to YouTube.

thomasj

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:19 pm

If you google for 'ffmpeg stream YouTube', you'll find plenty of examples. Here in my local church, we're using a Foscam PTZ camera and a Raspberry PI 3B+ to live stream to YouTube.
If you could, would you post the details of how you did your install for your church. I set up an OBS Studio project for my church and then was told that they only want to be able to put the live camera on facebook and nowhere else. They are using an Android notebook with the facebook app to stream. They have no idea that putting an external camera on facebook requires a whole different approach. I am now looking for the bare minimum to stream one camera to facebook with minimum setup and just hit the GO button. I am looking for as possible Rpi3b solution and think that what you have already accomplished is exactly what I need to do. However, in 2 days, facebook will require ssl/tls on port 443 to connect any stream, so whatever I come up with will have to involve a secure layer connection.

iampegram

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 am

Hi! I'm working on a similar project myself, and while the solution I've found doesn't use Raspberry Pi's (believe me, I tried), a very cost effective solution is OBS on a computer (I'm using an 8 year old laptop), and a bunch of decently powered old cell phones (my most reliable is a Nexus 5) using the NewTek NDI app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ndicamera or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/newtek- ... ?ls=1&mt=8). The app is only $20 (you can just log in with the same Google account on each Android, don't know if it works that way for the iFruits), and sends a very low latency video feed over the wireless network to OBS, which will also allow you to put overlays and presentations and other videos directly into the stream. I'm still in the testing phase, but the results at home are very promising. The problem we're having is getting the soundboard audio into the feed, but we're close on that score as well.

Initially, I was going to use RPi Zero W's with the camera modules as wireless cameras for OBS, but they kept cutting out after 5-10 mintues. The RPi 3B+ did the best, but still stopped transmitting halfway through the service. I was using motionEye OS in Fast Network Camera mode. I guess if you wrote a script and wired in a button, you could use an RPi with a camera module to stream direct to Facebook, I might have to play with that concept if the whole multiple cameras in OBS don't pan out...

thomasj

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I can't use OBS Studio on a computer. I had that as a setup originally but it takes to much human operation and I was told that they do not want to get that involved technologically. I forgot that I was dealing with humans that are intimidated by computer technologically. It also became apparent that the Pastor's Wife has claimed this as her domain so whatever I come up with has to be as easy for her to operate as what she's doing now, using a Facebook app in an IPad.

My current thought is to use a Raspberry Pi 3B+ tethered to the current camera I have hanging on the wall as the main streaming up-link to Facebook. Run a minimal web service in it so that they can connect to it with their iPad or Android via a web browser and enter the Facebook stream settings and key and start the up-link.

Conserns I have to play with is the fact that the IP camera has about a 4 second delay on it so I will have to add a delay for the audio coming out of the house mixer to sync with the camera. I will have to create a WebUI and hope that the RPi can handle everything in real time without dropping to many frames in the stream. :?

iampegram

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:16 pm

If by current camera, you mean the iPad, then look into the free Larix Broadcaster app (https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/lar ... 74385?mt=8). This app will send the camera feed via RTMP/RTMPS to whatever server you list. Get a persistent stream key for Facebook and enter the details in the app. Or setup a RTMP server on the Pi if you're trying to mix in sound from the board, then forward that to Facebook. Then all they have to do on Sunday morning is press the start button on the iPad, and control the stream from any web browser.

The only concern in that setup is how to get the sound from the mixer into the Pi, since it doesn't have native audio input... I guess you would need a sound HAT? Here's a list of options for that: https://www.tech-knowhow.com/2017/06/ra ... tive-list/

EDIT:
For what it's worth, when properly done, the OBS Studio route can be really easy. I bought this keypad and labeled it for all my scenes and overlays (even set a few Windows macros to start everything needed on the computer), so that the only setup needed on Sunday would be setting up and turning on the cameras (phones), then pressing start on the keypad. As far as the camera phones are concerned, I'm working on setting up the RPi's I have to become NDI cameras, so that all that would need to be done is point them where they need to see and plug in power. When I finish setting this up, Grandma should be able to operate it. :lol:

thomasj

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:37 pm

No, not the built-in iPad camera. They want to be able to stream the IP camera that I hung over the main doors for in-house use. They are now using an app with the built-in iPad camera.

Return to “Beginners”