Aadiyaara

Have just a rpi3b in my hand and just a laptop , no hdmi cables no ethernet cable, can i somehow set it up?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Actually, the thing is that I just got my first Raspberry Pi, was so excited that I ordered it from the first link I could find and now I have ended up with just a brick, I have no external mouse and keyboard I am currently in a hostel with just my laptop and this raspberry, is there any way to set it up and use it?

B.Goode

Re: Have just a rpi3b in my hand and just a laptop , no hdmi cables no ethernet cable, can i somehow set it up?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 pm

At the very least, you will also need a power supply and a microSD card.

Your laptop will need an SDHC-compatible reader/writer: that will probably be for a full-size card, so you will also need a microSD-to-fullsize adaptor.

If you don't already have a download of Raspbian you will need internet access and a generous data allowance.

One slim possibility is that you could configure Raspbian on your RPi3 to access a local WiFi access point and then, if that access point permits it, use your laptop to access your RPi wirelessly over that connection.

Failing that, are you in a position to configure your laptop WiFi to act as a standalone WiFi access point? If so you could configure Raspbian to associate with that AP and again access the RPi3 over that wireless link.

So it is not impossible to breathe life into your credit-card brick, but you will need a lot of luck and probably more knowledge than you currently possess.

drgeoff

Re: Have just a rpi3b in my hand and just a laptop , no hdmi cables no ethernet cable, can i somehow set it up?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Unless you have a way to write to micro-SD cards with the laptop, the answer is a definite 'no'.

Aadiyaara

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 am

I have a micro sd card and a mobile charger too now. the thing that I can't understand is how will it be connected to my laptops inbuilt keyboard and display!

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 am

Aadiyaara wrote:
I have a micro sd card and a mobile charger too now. the thing that I can't understand is how will it be connected to my laptops inbuilt keyboard and display!
If you have a wired Ethernet LAN, you can connect the Pi to that and access it from your laptop, using either ssh or VNC. You will need to write a file named "ssh" to the boot partition of the SD card to enable the ssh daemon. Alternatively, you could use WiFi as mentioned above. For that, you need to write another file (wpa_supplicant?) to the boot partition as well, giving the credentials needed to connect to the available WiFi, and--again--you can use either ssh or VNC to connect to the Pi. Once you have established the remote connection, data will be displayed on the screen of your laptop and you can input data from your keyboard. Just work within the windows involved.

As for power, I'd *really* recommend that you get a good PSU. One designed for use with the Pi.

One last point... You mentioned the lack of an HDMI cable. I fear that you may be suffering from a slight misconception in that regard. The HDMI ports on both the Pi and your laptop are output only. You can't just connect the Pi and have it use the laptop display as its own. So, in your present situation, don't even bother to get an HDMI cable. You have no use for one.

B.Goode

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 am

Aadiyaara wrote:
the thing that I can't understand is how will it be connected to my laptops inbuilt keyboard and display!
As @whh has said, you use a network connection via the built-in WiFi. That's why I went to some length to outline 2 ways of getting that WiFi connection running.

B.Goode

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am

A follow up:

For clarity - my suggestion is that you set up the RPi as a 'server' with no display or keyboard of its own. You then access that server via a 'client' ssh session running on your laptop which acts as a remote terminal.

bensimmo

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 am

As above, you will be using it in what is called a "Headless setup".

Follow this
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
(Basically download Raspbian with dekstop, but not noobs).
Use Etcher to write it to the SD card.
Then before trying it.

Turn SSH on, follow the headless heading.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

But you also need to provide the WiFi details in a little file.
(Not found a setup page for that yet, it not in remote access)

Take the card out and stick it in the Pi
Turn it on. Wait for a while.
Then use the SSH above from Windows to connect to it, you'll need the IP of the Pi.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... address.md

Once in you can head to setting up VNC for the desktop display.
Remote access,
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... te-access/

(note to whoever above, some laptops do have input on hdmi now, I've seen it mentioned. Doesn't help with mouse and keyboard though).

Return to “Beginners”