Rookie77

Wireless inputs and outputs

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am

Hey guys and gals,

I have a program where I want the inputs and outputs to be roughly 40 feet from the main processor, here's an overview,

2 programs, each containing the same 6 inputs and 6 outputs

Program 1
Turns on an output and latches until the corresponding input is pressed

Program 2
Turns on an output when the corresponding input is pressed

Simple enough right,

Now, what's the best way to achieve the control? 2 pi units via Bluetooth, WiFi, other? Any component suggestions?

I am using mechanical switches and indicator lights, nothing critical in terms of failure or if it fails to send the information. More as a visual aid

scotty101

Re: Wireless inputs and outputs

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 pm

ESP8266 (or the later ESP32) modules would be my suggestion. They are cheap low power WiFi equipped microcontrollers.

You could use the MQTT communication protocol to allow each program to "subscribe" to specific inputs and "publish" to the outputs.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Rookie77

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks, looking at the application, here how I see it having to work, I'm hoping someone can suggest how they would accomplish it and save me Hours of research. The inputs and outputs are about 30 feet away, nothing critical (no safety concerns), has to be wireless. Would I be better connecting 2 pi units, and wiring inputs and outputs to the second unit and MSG back and forth?

Main controller
Digital Input switches (6)
Output LEDs (6)

Main controller picks the program (basically selecting either latching or momentary push button function)

When input switch is pushed - send signal to Pi

Pi sends signal to to turn on outputs

davidcoton

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm

You could use Pi0W with built-in WiFi, or Pi3B (ditto), but for simple programs and no GUI scotty's suggestion may well be lower cost. A Pi will probably be better if either part requires a GUI (screen, mouse and possibly keyboard).

I don't quite get why you need to signal inputs to a remote computer to work out the outputs and signal them back -- can't it all be done locally?
Or is there more to the remote processing than that, like passing information elsewhere or repeating the display?
Have I missed something? What are you actually trying to achieve?
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

Return to “Beginners”