OhMyFuzzy69

SupTronics x800 or X820 worth buying?

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 am

Just bought a raspberry pie 2 b. Looking to turn it into a nextcloud server. I want to use a hdd and was curious if the SupTronics x800 or X820 was worth buying. I tried to search but couldn't find anything about it. Thanks in advance.

Johnson-xu

Re: SupTronics x800 or X820 worth buying?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 am

:D
I think it is worth buying.
Because i find out some guys who bought this stuff is satisfied with it, en, i think about may be i would like to have one too.
I will like to share this stuff online, may be you can have a look:
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Geekwo ... B073CGQD9C
Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/X800-2- ... 89269.html
:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 am

OhMyFuzzy69 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 am
Just bought a raspberry pie 2 b. Looking to turn it into a nextcloud server. I want to use a hdd and was curious if the SupTronics x800 or X820 was worth buying. I tried to search but couldn't find anything about it. Thanks in advance.
What does it give you over buying a simple USB HDD?

I've got a £40 500GB Toshiba Canvio
https://www.ebuyer.com/662454-toshiba-c ... tb305ek3aa
running on my RPi B+ with no special power supply or funky hardware required.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

HawaiianPi

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 am

It's essentially just a fancy SATA to USB converter. You can get a generic one for less than $10. Whether or not it's worth another $15-$20 for a Pi specific SATA to USB converter is really up to you. Personally, if I was connecting a 2.5 inch drive I would probably just use a generic adapter, or an external HDD.

However, on my Pi3 I do have a Pi specific SSD adapter, but it uses the much smaller mSATA form factor SSD and it all fits within the footprint of the Pi3 (whereas a 2.5 inch drive is already larger than a Pi3 before even adding adapters).

Click on the picture for my review of the X850 mSATA expansion board.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DeanTheMachine

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:19 am

I think the X820 is worth buying. I bought one with the intention of turning one of my RPi 3's into a media provider using OSMC, along with a Geekworm X920 HAT for the audio quality, and it makes a nice little package. Setup was easy and mostly straight to the point, although you'll need soldering skills to add a pair of pins to the X920 to power the X820 if you decide to go that route.
I'm having some problem now with getting the PVR software to work to run TV, I'll eventually get it figured out. I'm a bit of a novice at RPi's myself.
But it's a small neat package only slightly larger than the RPi and I have a 1TB HDD connected to the X820 for my various libraries without having a clunky external hard drive sitting beside.

ElEsido

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 pm

I bought one and am partially happy:

Pros:
  • Along with an extra 4A Power Supply you get one package and don't have to worry about underpowering the hd.
Cons:
  • x800/x820 feed power to the pi throught its GPIO pins. That should not be done as this bypasses the pi's power supply filters and fuse. I soldered a cut off usb cable to tbe X820's power pins and plug it into the pi's micro usb port ("as usual") to provide filtered/fused power, however that blocks the hdmi port bridge.
  • Rather large footprint. I'd go for a mSATA solution if I were to choose again.
  • the hard disk makes a clicking noise that it didn't make when the same drive was plugged into a goflex net (RPI3 with picoreplayer. This might not necessarily be the x820's fault, though.)

blasepeanut

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:40 am

Hi friends how are you all doing ?

I'm looking forward to buy the X820 board and the metal case. However I have a simple doubt.

The metal comes with a power button that according to the manual instructions should be connected to the X820 board. So my questions are:

1 - Does it need a shutdown script?
2 - If it does not need, does it shutdown the raspberry safety like the safe shutdown script does?
3 - Can I connect the power button to the raspberry, and make a script there, and turns on the x820 by the raspberry connection ?

Sorry if the questions are too simple, but I just wanted to clarify before buying and waiting from china delivery haha.
Thanks for the attention!
give a thumbs up for those that tried to help you doug!
Portable Consoles:
Nasty Blue OLD 3DS XL |Pink PSP 3001
System + Hack:
11.8.0-41U Luma CFW | 6.61 LME Infinity
Flashcards + Kernel:
R4i Plus - Wood Kernel
R4i Gold Pro - YSMenu

blasepeanut

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm

blasepeanut wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:40 am
Hi friends how are you all doing ?

I'm looking forward to buy the X820 board and the metal case. However I have a simple doubt.

The metal comes with a power button that according to the manual instructions should be connected to the X820 board. So my questions are:

1 - Does it need a shutdown script?
2 - If it does not need, does it shutdown the raspberry safety like the safe shutdown script does?
3 - Can I connect the power button to the raspberry, and make a script there, and turns on the x820 by the raspberry connection ?

Sorry if the questions are too simple, but I just wanted to clarify before buying and waiting from china delivery haha.
Thanks for the attention!
I got in contact with the SupTronics team. And according to them, there is not a shut down script. The shutdown button only turn it off.

But I will be making some changes to be able to use the switch that comes with the Metal Case, to be able to turn it on and off using the GPIO. I will let you guys know if I make it work.
give a thumbs up for those that tried to help you doug!
Portable Consoles:
Nasty Blue OLD 3DS XL |Pink PSP 3001
System + Hack:
11.8.0-41U Luma CFW | 6.61 LME Infinity
Flashcards + Kernel:
R4i Plus - Wood Kernel
R4i Gold Pro - YSMenu

toro

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello,

About this topic, can you power the X820 via raspis usb that connects the two, to use nanomesher or something like that for safe shutdown?

Thanks in advance!

JOV58

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:29 am

I wouldn't recommend buying. Boot problems are very common in combination with my RPi 3. Also the voltage delivered to the Raspberry is far from 5V. I have my 30A lab power supply on 5.2V and still the voltage on the Raspberry pins (the 5V output from the X820) is always lower than 4.75V (so I always see that yellow lightning symbol on Raspbian's desktop, IF the thing boots) and often lower than 4.5V.

That shouldn't affect the RPi itself since it will operate from 3.3V+, but you might get problems with other USB or GPIO connected stuff.

I also have a cheap 6 euro USB3 to SATA converter (with an extra 12V input jack so I could also use 3.5" HDD's). No problems with that at all.

Return to “Beginners”