pberrett

Best/simplest method of transmission

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 am

Hi all

I'd like to get reader's advice on the best way of implementing a project.

The part of the project I am trying to implement concerns wireless transmission of a number (a frequency) every second of so from an Arduino to a Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi needs to be operating in a python program during the transmission.

The question is - what is the best hardware/software combination for reliably transmitting the number from the Arduino to the PI.

I started with a 433 mhz module combination and found some Arduino and python code for the PI. The transmission worked but was unreliable.

Next I have a couple of NRF24L01 modules. I found some code on the internet but it struck me as particularly complicated. I just want to send a single number.

I have since ordered a couple of SPP-CA Bluetooth serial modules which should arrive in a week or so.

And then there's the possibility of using 2.4ghz.

For a relatively simple task such as I have outlined above, what hardware /software combination do readers recommend for send a number periodically from the Arduino to the PI. By the way the Pi I am using is a Pi3 with wifi. Ideally the transmission should be reliably decoded. The distance involved is only a metre or two.

Thoughts?

cheers Peter

davidcoton

Re: Best/simplest method of transmission

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 am

Sounds like a Bluetooth application. The Pi3 has Bluetooth on board, so you'll only need a module for the Arduino end.
Signature retired

bask185

Re: Best/simplest method of transmission

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:58 am

You need to buy either an Hc-05 or an Hc-6 bluetooth module for the Arduino. Using rfcomm you can connect to it.

Return to “Beginners”