rmeyer137

Flick-Large demo won't run on PI3

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 am

Flick Large - Demos not working.

I have a pi3 and just got the Flick large. Connected it up, checked the wiring all is good. Ran the i2cdetect and I have just this device detected as 0x42 perfect! right - ran an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade then the curl command to install the flick demo code and libraries. Everything seemed good. On this raspberry pi I do have a touch screen installed, which works great. Other than that this pi3 has nothing else attached to it.

When I run the flick-demo it starts up displays the text (I'm running it from an ssh session). Looks good so far, but when I try to use the pad nothing happens. When I p[ress Control-C to exit the program this is what I see:

Code: Select all

flick-demo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/flick-demo", line 4, in <module>
    __import__('pkg_resources').run_script('flicklib==0.0.1', 'flick-demo')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 534, in run_script
    self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1445, in run_script
    exec(script_code, namespace, namespace)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flicklib-0.0.1-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/flick-demo", line 147, in <module>

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/curses/wrapper.py", line 43, in wrapper
    return func(stdscr, *args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flicklib-0.0.1-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/flick-demo", line 145, in main
KeyboardInterrupt
I know the board is detected because it has the information for it:
Firmware valid: Yes
Hardware Revison: 99.128
Params Start Addr: 0x7300
Library Loader Version: 19.100
Library Loader Platform: Hillstar
Firmware Start Addr: 0x1000
Firmware Version: 1.3.14;p:HillstarV01;x:
DSP: ID9000r2963;i:B;f:22500;nMsg;s:Rel_1_3_prer1784:NM;

Is there a script to help in debugging issues like this? If I run i2cdump -y 0x42 should I see anything other than zeros when touching the board?

Any ideas?

Pi Supply

Re: Flick-Large demo won't run on PI3

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi,

The error seems to be related to software. Can you please try setting things up an a fresh installation of Raspbian with no other boards connected to the GPIO?
Did you follow our guide here https://www.pi-supply.com/make/flick-qu ... arge-board
Pi Supply - The Maker Emporium!
https://www.pi-supply.com

rmeyer137

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Guys, come on now. There are no other things connected to the GPIOs. The software recognizes the I2C address. The GPIOs turn on and off the LEDs and I can watch the status of the other GPIOs. How can I manually verify the I2C data coming from the Flick? What commands do I need to send to the I2C bus to get the flick to send me touch data?

Pi Supply

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 pm

All I was trying to do was to help you out determining if it was a hardware or a software issue. If it is hardware than you can send the item back if it is software then we can start investigating on a different level.

However you seem to be needing a different troubleshooting approach.
I don't particularly know the protocol at low level but here you can find the datasheet of the chip https://github.com/PiSupply/Flick/blob/ ... GC3130.pdf
and the Gestic Library
https://github.com/PiSupply/Flick/blob/ ... GestIC.pdf

If you open an issue on Github somebody more knowledgeable will certainly reply at the level that you require.

Hope this helps.

Pi Supply

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Another thing you could do is to reflash the firmare on the Flick.
From within /home/pi/Flick/firmware/update

cp ../Flick_Large_V1.1.enz

./flickupdate
Please let us know how are you getting on with this.

rmeyer137

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:51 am

Okay, reflashed the firmware, seemed to run fine but did not fix the issue. I read the docs and see that TS should be in different states when data is available but GPIO pin stays high and never changes (see Table 5-9 from doc).

An i2cdump of 0x42 returns only zeros. I think I have a defective board, which I'm disappointed as I was going to use this in my smarthome to control lights instead of having light switches on the walls. I'm building the home now. Is it possible to get another board please, perhaps pretested. I'll need around eight of these to start if testing of this first unit goes well.

Thank you.

Pi Supply

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:09 pm

I am sorry you think the board isn't working, we haven't really had any defective ones so far but there is always a first.
Please open a ticket via our support page and we will send you instructions for a return.
Either use the email or the form provided here https://www.pi-supply.com/contact-us/

rmeyer137

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Okay, found the issue. The BOARD WORKS! I swapped out the cable that connects it to the pi. Worked perfectly! So defective/intermittent cable. Pays to check everything! :) Thanks guys. Now I'm going to mount this behind some drywall (wall board) and see how sensitive it is. Thanks!

Pi Supply

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:04 pm

I am glad that a bit of low tech troubleshooting solved the problem in the end. Looking forward to know more about your project!

karrika

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi,

I am a bit curious of what kind of hand movement have you thought of for controlling lights at home?

Is there some benefit in using 3D compared to a touch screen?

This technology is a bit sci-fi for me so I am just curious.

--
Regards,
Karri

x3Curry

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Hello, i had the same Problem.
Read this Article a did a firmware Update.
So now Touch tap and toubletap works great.
but nothing happens to x y z, Flick and Airwheel.

someone know a fix or sounds it that like a defekt ?

Thanks

rmeyer137

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 am

It's been a while since I last check this on the forum and I wanted to answer the question about lighting control. I'm building a smart house and don't have any light switches whatsoever in the house and wanted the controls for lights to be hidden behind drywall in obvious places where a light switch would be typically mounted. The flick pad made sense as you can just tap the wall to turn on the lights and sense different gestures to make the lights dim to your liking. Since each of the LED lights in the home are separately controlled by a PWM I want to develop and research gestures that would select a single or all the lights in the room to control. Once I put in LED lighting that has RGB instead of just white, then I'll move on to gestures for the different colours.

I have two issues with tablets and only use them sparingly in the home. You'll probably find this a little unusual, but my smart home is all hardwired. No wifi communication at all. So using a off the shelf tablet without wifi is an issue connectivity wise. The other issue with tablets is the battery life, even if I had an off the shelf tablet I could mount a QI charger behind the wall and place the tablet over it. Most tablets don't support QI charging. Yes you can easily add it with a QI charging kit but that starts to look ugly. I want a very clean look. Which brings me to building a raspberry 7" or larger display, again most displays I have seen have the connectors on the edge of the display and are bulky. You would think that manufactures would design the displays to be put into a nice slim case without cables protruding. That's just one of my rants on larger displays.

So the Flick suits a nice clean design. It would be nice if the python libraries were updated for for this on GitHub. (yea, another rant).

Cheers!

davidcoton

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 am

rmeyer137 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 am
I'm building a smart house and don't have any light switches whatsoever in the house and wanted the controls for lights to be hidden behind drywall in obvious places where a light switch would be typically mounted.
I think you need to check the wiring regulations in your area. In the UK all mains cables must run in specified zones, usually in line with visible fittings (switches or sockets) or within 150mm of the ceiling or a corner. Otherwise they must be more than 50mm deep into the wall, or protected by 2mm steel (not plastic) conduit, trunking, or capping.

Is there any reason for putting invisible controls where switches might go? Can't they be put above the ceiling near the light fittings?

Whatever you do, take photographs before the wall is boarded so you know exactly where the cables run for future reference. Remeber it may not be you carrying out future work.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

rmeyer137

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:13 am

I understand what you are driving at as far as routing mains behind walls. Yes cables must be deep enough so that nails/screws won't hit them. There is lots of regulation for normal house voltage, but at this point very little in the way of low voltage regulations. However, the cabling to "behind the drywall" meets or exceeds the high voltage standard. I'm sure Canada will start to come up with good low voltage standards in the next few years.

Obviously to me, I will need to service the board from time to time. The actual raspberry, or what ever I use is located in the ceiling and not behind the drywall so that it is easily accessible and has air movement around it. I was thinking that the pad itself will be in a flip out frame that can be easily serviced and blends in with the wall.

Cheers!

Return to “Beginners”