ChickenPillow

How to do you install Eclipse?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 pm

How can I install the latest Eclipse (currently Oxygen) because when you install Eclipse with 'sudo apt-get install eclipse' it only installs the 3.8.0 version.

Thanks.
Last edited by ChickenPillow on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Re: How to install Eclipse

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Please edit the title to put a question mark at the end.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to do you install Eclipse?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

ChickenPillow wrote:How can I install the latest Eclipse (currently Oxygen) because when you install Eclipse with 'sudo apt-get install eclipse' it only installs the 3.8.0 version.

Thanks.
Eclipse Oxygen was only recently released (June 2017), therefore you would need to compile from Source Code if you want later than 3.8.x versions ;)
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

ChickenPillow

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Could I do it with Eclipse Neon or something?

DirkS

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:05 pm

ChickenPillow wrote:Could I do it with Eclipse Neon or something?
Do what?

ChickenPillow

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:38 pm

How can I install Eclipse (probably Eclipse Neon since Eclipse Oxygen was only just released) on Raspberry Pi? I have tried downloading the tar.gz file, extracting it and then clicking on eclipse install but it does nothing.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 pm

ChickenPillow wrote:How can I install Eclipse (probably Eclipse Neon since Eclipse Oxygen was only just released) on Raspberry Pi? I have tried downloading the tar.gz file, extracting it and then clicking on eclipse install but it does nothing.
Is what you downloaded suitable for ARMHF Raspbian (Debian) ???

ChickenPillow

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:45 pm

I downloaded the Linux version of Eclipse Neon?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 pm

ChickenPillow wrote:I downloaded the Linux version of Eclipse Neon?
If it states 32/64 it is for x86 CPU Architecture :shock:

klricks

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 am

ChickenPillow wrote:I downloaded the Linux version of Eclipse Neon?
You can't download and install random software on the RPi.
If the website or author does not specifically mention for Raspberry Pi, then you can expect that it won't be compatible.

Normally software is installed with apt-get command or by using a Package Manager.

There is a very basic PM installed in Raspbian. [Menu] --> [Preferences] --> Add / Remove Software.
Use the search function to see if a version of Eclipse is present in the repository.

Or install a much better PM:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Note that software available for the RPi will likely be several versions or even years older that what may be available for Desktop/laptop x86 systems.

If not in repository, or if you a need newer version than what is available in the repository, then you would need to obtain source code and compile it yourself.
Last edited by klricks on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

julyjim

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 am

I have been trying to get similar issue solved.
From this thread I get

"Oxygen for Linux " does not mean one can install it in Rasbpian.
What I am hearing is I need "Oxygen for Rasbpian", which is confusing to new Linux user.
( I was under the impression that repositories are where software apps comes from , this "need to compile" makes no sense )
Am I wrong?

From short usage of Eclipse I understand that there are TWO options, BUT both have to be executed withing working Eclipse. Update - which should mean to update from Eclipse X to Eclipse Y - from 3.8 to the latest which is Oxygen.
Or install New software which I have not been able to figure out if it actually installed anything , but it takes a sweep of selected sites and than takes forever to complete.
All of this on PC running Ubuntu, not tried on Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:21 am

julyjim wrote:I have been trying to get similar issue solved.
From this thread I get

"Oxygen for Linux " does not mean one can install it in Rasbpian.
What I am hearing is I need "Oxygen for Rasbpian", which is confusing to new Linux user.
( I was under the impression that repositories are where software apps comes from , this "need to compile" makes no sense )
Am I wrong?

From short usage of Eclipse I understand that there are TWO options, BUT both have to be executed withing working Eclipse. Update - which should mean to update from Eclipse X to Eclipse Y - from 3.8 to the latest which is Oxygen.
Or install New software which I have not been able to figure out if it actually installed anything , but it takes a sweep of selected sites and than takes forever to complete.
All of this on PC running Ubuntu, not tried on Raspberry Pi
The supported Linux is Raspbian Jessie which is based of Debian ARM but compiled to run on ARMv6 or ARMv7 RPis.

Debian are very conservative regards latest and greatest hence why older packages.

If one wants newer packages then I would suggest Ubuntu-Mate 16:04 which is a Community Supported release:

klricks

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 am

julyjim wrote:........"Oxygen for Linux " does not mean one can install it in Rasbpian.
Yes. All software must be compiled specifically for the processor it will be used on. RPi has a specific type of ARM processor. Desktop / Laptops usually have an x86 based processor..... So any software COMPILED** for one will not work on the other unless some sort of emulation is available.
julyjim wrote:What I am hearing is I need "Oxygen for Rasbpian", which is confusing to new Linux user.
Am I wrong?
I edited my reply above to be more clear.... Compiling yourself is sometimes an option when software is not in the repository or the version in the repository is too old. Of course to do that the software must be open source.

** MOD edit
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”