maddoggmike

Car Project

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Hey All,

I have a newb question well more like advice. i have been looking at the Pi for some time and thought i might serve a purpose in a car project i have been working on.

The goal is to have a computer in the car that will replace the current radio, IPOD, Laptop and GPS and merge into one device.

What i need:
GPS
Music
Touchscreen
Run C-Com(see below system requirements)

If anyone can tell me if this is possible i would greatly appreciate it.

● PC: 80386 or higher CPU ● Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP ● Graphics: VGA * RAM: 2MB minimum ● Hard Disk: 1 MB minimum ● RS-232: A free COM port (#1,2,3 or 4 without conflicting interrupts) is required. If your PC does not have a serial port connection you must use a USB to serial port adapter that is included with your XFI system

epoch1970

Re: Car Project

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 am

The Pi uses an ARM processor, not an Intel one. It won't run any of the Windows flavors you listed.
I guess you'd have to look for a NUC or smaller i386 compatible platform.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

rpdom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am

If the software only requires an 80386 minimum, it may be possible to run it using Wine and Qemu or Eltechs Exagear desktop https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

PiGraham

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 am

maddoggmike wrote:Hey All,

I have a newb question well more like advice. i have been looking at the Pi for some time and thought i might serve a purpose in a car project i have been working on.

The goal is to have a computer in the car that will replace the current radio, IPOD, Laptop and GPS and merge into one device.

What i need:
GPS
Music
Touchscreen
Run C-Com(see below system requirements)

If anyone can tell me if this is possible i would greatly appreciate it.

● PC: 80386 or higher CPU ● Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP ● Graphics: VGA * RAM: 2MB minimum ● Hard Disk: 1 MB minimum ● RS-232: A free COM port (#1,2,3 or 4 without conflicting interrupts) is required. If your PC does not have a serial port connection you must use a USB to serial port adapter that is included with your XFI system
It could be worth considering a cheap Android tablet (e.g. 7" for as little as £20) as some of these these have all the hardware you need and a good selection of software apps at a lower price than you could do with a Pi and accessories.
For a bit moremoney you can get some Atom based Windows tablets (£50+) if x86 and Windows is important to you.

If you prefer to buid something yourself from parts a Pi is viable but forget Windows. Use Raspbian Linux.

See the blog post https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-carputer/
Last edited by PiGraham on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

B.Goode

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

PC: 80386 or higher CPU
No model of RPi has a cpu that matches that specification.

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP
Microsoft no longer supply or support most, if not all, of the Operating Systems listed.
None will run directly on RPi hardware.

You appear to have chosen a solution which is pretty much incompatible with a Raspberry Pi, and which is itself very outdated.

Return to “Beginners”