RDS

VNC via the Cloud

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:34 pm

I know I should not be asking this question, because I have successfully done it once before, but ...
I have previously monitored and controlled my 5 Pi's using VNC on both a Windows 10 PC and an Android Phone via my home WiFi.
I have also operated the Pi's from the Android phone whilst away from home using VNC and the Cloud.
I needed to send my Mobile phone away for repair, so unfortunately I needed to remove all my apps and reset the phone to factory settings.

The phone has been returned and I re-installed VNC. It works perfectly using my home WiFi (using Address Book) but when moving to the option to see my team using the cloud, it reports that there are 'No Computers in this team at present'. I cannot recall how I did it previously and despite making my own notes, I don't seem to have covered this apparently simple step.

I would appreciate any help,

fruitoftheloom

Re: VNC via the Cloud

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

RDS wrote:I know I should not be asking this question, because I have successfully done it once before, but ...
I have previously monitored and controlled my 5 Pi's using VNC on both a Windows 10 PC and an Android Phone via my home WiFi.
I have also operated the Pi's from the Android phone whilst away from home using VNC and the Cloud.
I needed to send my Mobile phone away for repair, so unfortunately I needed to remove all my apps and reset the phone to factory settings.

The phone has been returned and I re-installed VNC. It works perfectly using my home WiFi (using Address Book) but when moving to the option to see my team using the cloud, it reports that there are 'No Computers in this team at present'. I cannot recall how I did it previously and despite making my own notes, I don't seem to have covered this apparently simple step.

I would appreciate any help,
If you are using the de-facto RealVNC in Raspbian Jessie, see: https://www.realvnc.com/en/download/vnc/raspberrypi/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

RDS

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm

@fruitoftheloom
Thank you for your reply.
I have been searching (off and on) for a couple of weeks now and I had come across that information from the VNC website but it doesn't seem to cover the situation I have, where I have it working perfectly on WiFi and just need to add the Cloud side of it.

DavidMS

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 pm

I would agree it is not immediately obvious

This may not be the only way but worked for me - assuming you are using Real VNC that comes packaged with the more recent Rasbian distributions

- left click on the VNC icon on the task bar
- Under 'Connectivity' you will see an option to 'sign in' to enable cloud connectivity

- clicking on this link will bring up a log in screen, once signed in you will get an option to enable cloud connectivity for that Pi

It is work noting that there were some stability problems with the cloud connectivity, these seem to have been fixed with recent updates - so make sure the s/w on the pi is up-to-date !
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

RDS

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 pm

@DavidMS
Thank you very much.
However, the box in the connectivity screen to allow Cloud Connections is already ticked because I had Cloud connectivity working perfectly before my Mobile went for repair.
I will try 'un-ticking' it to see if it offers me the opportunity to set up the Cloud again.
I will report back, thanks again.

RDS

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 am

Unfortunately, removing the tick and starting again, made no difference.
The 'Cloud' system, still reports that no computers are present.

DavidMS

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:15 pm

I suggest you try logging in directly to Realvnc - https://www.realvnc.com/en/, sign-in and select the 'Computers' option, this should allow you to manage previously registered computers, if that does not work I would try the 'contact us' link and ask for some help directly.
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

RDS

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 pm

@DavidMS
Thank you again. I have followed that link and it displays my 5 Pi's as part of my team. The problem is tying them to my Mobile.
I have sent a direct query to VNC using the Contact details and I am now in email communication.
Assuming I get it sorted, I will post the solution on here as I hope it will help others.

RDS

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 am

Has anyone else had this issue?
The ongoing Technical support from VNC has been excellent but I have not managed to solve it yet.
All my Pi's are available using WiFi but not via the Cloud. When viewing my team in the Cloud part of the app, it just reports there are no computers in the team.
The aspect I seem to be missing is that of tying my Android Phone to my Pi's, over the Cloud.
The frustrating part is that I had it working perfectly before my phone needed repair and the app had to be removed.

RDS

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I have bumped this topic in the hope that someone can help as tomorrow is the last time for a couple of weeks I will be able use my WiFi and the Cloud connection, that I can get to work will be my only option,
Thanks

RDS

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 pm

To all who have responded on this thread.

I have now fixed the problem and it was as simple as removing the App from my phone and reloading it. This was a step I had avoided previously for fear of losing the WiFi capability that I did have.

All of my Pi's now appear in my Address Book and Team.

Thank You,

Return to “Beginners”