Albailey1424

Installing kodi 17 on Raspbian

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Okay, so I got my very first raspberry pi today and an very excited. I've been using am android box to stream tv shows and movies with Kodi, but thought it would be worth the money to buy a Pi and learn to code a little..besides the minimal experience I have in xhtml/css.

My question is, how do I go about installing Kodi if I am running Raspbian that came preloaded on my noobs card?
I entered the command lines listed on the wiki page provided by kodi and the app has installed, but when I try to open kodi via menu >sound & video > kodi...or "kodi" in the command prompt..i get a black screen for about a second and then I'm just sent back to the desktop screen. Not sure what I'm doing wrong and it's driving me crazy!

FWIW, I know a lot of people run OpenElec instead of Raspbian if they are using their pi as a media device, but I plan to do more than just stream audio/video, which is why I am trying to stick with Raspbian. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

gkreidl

Re: Installing kodi 17 on Raspbian

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:14 am

Tell us what you did and we might be able to help you. You cannot expect us to study some kodi wiki pages to guess what you did.

Installing kodi on Raspbian is in fact very easy:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

You have to set the GPU memory to at least 160 MB in /boot/config.txt
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Albailey1424

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for the reply gkreidl. I did exactly as you just said
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get install kodi.

I also set the gpu to 160mb after reading a few forums and trying to troubleshoot on my own first.
That's why I'm having such a hard time figuring this out.
The only thing that happens when I open kodi is a black screen for about a second then a little loading notification beside the cursor that goes away after about 30 seconds

gkreidl

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Check if the following file exists and if it does, check its content:
/home/pi/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

Try to start kodi from a terminal and look for error messages.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Albailey1424

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

I formatted my sd card and am in the process of re-installing Raspbian on my pi at the moment.

Once the install is completed I will try to install Kodi again and check to see if the file exists and will post an update. Thanks again.

Albailey1424

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Update:
After formatting my SD card and installing Raspbian Jessie, I installed Kodi and it worked without an issue. Not sure what the problem was with the previous OS I was running, because it was Jessie as well, but I'm glad to have it working now. Thanks again for your help gkreidl.

Return to “Beginners”