micksulley

How to Install Firefox?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:26 pm

New install of Raspbian and I am trying to install Firefox from desktop.
I go to Preferences > Add/Remove Software
I search for Firefox
I tick Mozilla Firefox and press Apply, it says Installing packages...
I press OK and again it says Installing packages
All seems OK, so I close Add/Remove Software
I go to Internet, Firefox is not listed
I go back to Add/Remove Software, Firefox is not installed.

Have I missed something here???
Why does Add/Remove Software not actually add software?

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to Install Firefox?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:55 pm

micksulley wrote:New install of Raspbian and I am trying to install Firefox from desktop.
I go to Preferences > Add/Remove Software
I search for Firefox
I tick Mozilla Firefox and press Apply, it says Installing packages...
I press OK and again it says Installing packages
All seems OK, so I close Add/Remove Software
I go to Internet, Firefox is not listed
I go back to Add/Remove Software, Firefox is not installed.

Have I missed something here???
Why does Add/Remove Software not actually add software?
Use command line, open a termiinal and:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-esr
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

micksulley

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes I know I can do that, but this is supposed to be easy to use for people getting to know about computers. It really should work, or at least give an error message to say why it hasn't worked.

wh7qq

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:34 pm

So how much easier than

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-esr
are the steps you went through?

You paid what? $35 for your RPi and downloaded your software free including all the extra stuff that comes with Raspbian. That is a mostly volunteer development staff as opposed to u$oft's thousands of professional developers and $million$. Not everything is perfect, but then neither is the world we live in. What matters is that Raspbian is always getting better while the rest of the world turns to ****. In the mean time, noobies should be exposed to the command line...one of Linux's best features, like it or not. That is part of "learning to use computers" as opposed to sitting there in front of an appliance like a game machine or TV.

Micha1982

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Some answers here are so..... :roll:
You did not answered his question @fruitoftheloom.

If someone asks you how to find the hospital, do you say to him "yes, the weather is fine!" ?

Btw, I did not tried it - but I bet 5 Euros that FF still does not appear in the user-startup-panel its add-list after install even though I reported it around 3 times in different places...

@micksulley Welcome to Linux. :mrgreen: (and forget the add/remove-software-app - its an almost useless piece of crap in my opinion (sorry) missing much functionality compared to other systems)
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

gkaiseril

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 pm

You will lose your bet.

Linux uses packages for instillation and depending upon how the individual packeger puts the install package together will determine if the program will install in the menu.

I just installed FireFox on a new Raspberian system and it appeared under the Internet category as FireFox ESR.

At one time there was Iceweasel version of FireFox, but that is now considered transitional and can be removed.

You can use the supplied pi-packages GUI to search for and install programs. This program is under Preferences on the menu. Some like to install Synaptic as the GUI for adding, updating and removing packages. Both programs list dependent packages, so it can be hard to find the correct program to install. I find using the list at Raspberry Connect is helpfu to locate a specific program but it may take some digging.

With post IBM 360 MVS OS code is written using function modules so the code can be reused and by passing different parameters one can adjust what files, fields, variables etc are processed and these functions can report the success or failure of the funciton´s processing. When the basic task are called through a GUI the programmer can chose to suppress the return messages. It turns out the apt-get install, pi-packages, and synaptic all use the same basic functions. ¨apt-get install" list each individual task and result, ¨pi-packages¨ only creates a log, and ¨synaptic¨ has an option to display the task messages during the install. So all 3 programs perform the exact same task but each a little differently. Sort of like providing turn by turn instructions vs. providing GPS coordinates for driving instructions. Both will get one to the destination but the recipient of the instructions will need to understand how to use the information.

Many volunteers have worked hard to take Unix/Linux from its command line start to get it to where it is more user friendly now. At least for some tasks.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

dranem

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 am

gkaiseril, correct me if I'm wrong but IBM 360 OSs were MFT and MVT. MVS appearing with the IBM 370 series? The good old days where everything was done on a green on black 24 lines by 80 columns 3270 terminal, including coding in the Assembler language! The WYCIWYG language (C is for Code). You brought back sweet memories!

program

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:51 am

it dos not woke this is what i get wen i did it

Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:28 am

program wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:51 am
it dos not woke this is what i get wen i did it

Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
So, straight after an install, this is the error that was displayed when you tried to run Firefox?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

gkaiseril

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:03 pm

I just installed FireFox-esr on a pi-top system with no problem.

When you run "uname -a" on the command line?

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberry 4.14.71-v7+ #1145 SMP Fri Sep 21 15:38:35 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~ $ 
Are you using the default user "pi" or did you add a new user?

Another
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Return to “Beginners”