kangxi

Add / remove software

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:20 pm

I've just installed raspbian on a pi 3. The add/remove software function has vast lists of apps & packages, seemingly arranged in no particular order. There doesn't appear to be a search function. Is the list available on line, so we can more easily browse them?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Add / remove software

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:29 pm

The reason for the "vast list" is that, when a package is installed, so are any other packages or libraries that it depends on.

Is there some particular program or package that you're interested in? Are you trying to find out what is available? In the later case, try "apt-cache search <keyword>".

kangxi

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tip - I shall use it when I suspect something may be available. But I really just fancied doing the equivalent of window shopping, for which the current setup is rather impractical.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 pm

kangxi wrote:Thanks for the tip - I shall use it when I suspect something may be available. But I really just fancied doing the equivalent of window shopping, for which the current setup is rather impractical.
If you are running Raspbian Jessie then install the apt-get gui, then you can browse:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic
http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/action.html
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

ericcooper

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:56 pm

You can browse Debian packages (raspbian's "parent") by category here:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/

Many of these categories are too broad to be useful, IMO, but OK for "window shopping".

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Actually...I'd suggest starting by seeing what programs are already in the pull down menu and, if you need to do something in the way of a utility function that is not listed, check with apropos. Linux (taking after unix) has an *extremely* rich set of utility programs and they can be combined in interesting ways to do even more.

If you need to do something that you can't find using either the tools already mentioned, or by doing a web search, you can ask here and you'll probably get answers giving multiple ways to do what you want. Just try to be specific (as in "is there a Linux equivalent to PhotoShop?" for which the answer happens to be "yes", it's called "gimp").

kangxi

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:55 pm

Many thanks for the info. The search function recommended (apt-cache search keyword) doesn't seem to work. I searched for the rogue-like game angband: I know there are two program packages and a doc package available but the search didn't return them, although it did hum to itself for a while, so it was doing something. However, the list of Debian packages is just the ticket for the casual window shopper.
So ta again - and thanks for confirming that this is a nice, helpful friendly forum.

rpdom

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Hmm...

Code: Select all

rpdom@raspi4:~$ apt-cache search angband
angband - Single-player, text-based, dungeon simulation game
angband-data - Game data for angband
angband-doc - Documentation for the roguelike game Angband.
moria - Rogue-like game with an infinite dungeon
slashem - variant of Nethack
slashem-gtk - variant of Nethack (Gtk window port)
slashem-sdl - variant of Nethack (SDL window port)
slashem-x11 - variant of Nethack (X11 window port)
zangband-data - A single-player, text-based, roguelike game (datafiles)
What version of Raspbian are you running?

tech-mech

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:08 am

I do not understand why yours is not showing categories as all my installs do. I use the search to uninstall stuff I do not use after setting up a new system. I did use synaptic before the add / remove option was added but why wast card space with a duplicate function.

Dale

SeeGreatness

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:12 am

If you just set up your pi then do
passwd
type in a password for the root user (it will not show up even in ****'s )
then press enter and retype it in
then go to the top left menu and click itgo to prefrences and click "add/remove software"
then when you want to install something and it askes for a password click the drop down menu select "pi" and enter your pi password

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:37 am

SeeGreatness wrote:If you just set up your pi then do
passwd
type in a password for the root user (it will not show up even in ****'s )
then press enter and retype it in
then go to the top left menu and click itgo to prefrences and click "add/remove software"
then when you want to install something and it askes for a password click the drop down menu select "pi" and enter your pi password
Ummm... No.

On a newly set up Pi, typing passwd will have you change the password for user 'pi'. Doing so is a good idea, especially if you have enabled ssh. There are ways to set a password for root, but this one (as given) isn't it.

kangxi

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 pm

The reason the search function didn't work for me was (embarrassingly) because I entered the wrong search term (angmar instead of angband).
But I was asked which version of raspbian I was using and I couldn't remember (it came via the NOOBS I downloaded a couple of days ago - Jessie? Not Wheezy anyway) and there doesn't seem to be a simple console command to list it.
When I tried to find out the version I looked in vain for the equivalent of the windows system info - a summary of what hardware and software I have in my configuration. Is there such a thing, and where do I find it?

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:33 pm

cat /etc/os-release
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

kangxi

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Brilliant!
Thanks.

Return to “Beginners”