kaushikkyle

Using the pi 3 as NAS

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:19 pm

I am planning to use a raspberry pi 3 as a NAS, I have 3 2.5inch internal hard disks and am planning on buying a 3.5 inch internal hard drive . will it be possible to use a power supply unit to power up the hard drives and connect all of them to the pi using sata/ide to usb convertors?.
2x160gb internal hard drive 2.5inch
1x320gb internal hard drive 2.5inch
1x2tb internal hard drive 3.5 inch(yet to buy)

peterlite

Re: Using the pi 3 as NAS

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:17 am

2.5" disks need about 0.8 amp. The Pi 3 USB ports supply 1 amp. Your first disk will work then you need an external powered USB hub. There are several posts on this topic. Magnetic disks often require a large startup power that may not be mentioned in the specs. Look for external power with a good margin of spare power.

Some USB-SATA chips have problems that will stop them working reliably. Use lsusb to find the USB ID for your device then google the USB ID and linux. This will help you avoid adapters and enclosures that create intermittent problems.

kaushikkyle

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for a quick reply.....does a power supply unit for a desktop pc do the job?

And could you recommend any universal sata to usb converters

S0litaire

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:44 pm

You "might" get away with a powered USB hub depending on the power supply. Something like this :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atolla-Powered ... B071QZ5D7L

You would need a few SATA to USB "Y" cables (unless you are buying caddies for the drives) so a few of these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-TM-Seri ... 00CKIYTTI/

Plug the power supply into the hub and the drives onto the cables and onto the USB hub. Plug it into the r-pi and power it up.

NOTE:
The items I've picked are for EXAMPLE only. You can find these a cheaper elsewhere.
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

Return to “Beginners”