Jerren

Camera monitor

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey,

A buddy of mine has several ip cameras and asked me if it was possible to get them to display on his tv. I'm thinking that the raspberry pi would be perfect for him to just have the program run full screen so when he switches to the correct hdmi output he can instantly see he's camera's.

What i don't know, is if the program wil run on the raspberry since it's os is linuxbased, the program he uses is eyecloud wich is usable on windows, android and ios. So mainly i'm thinking since linux isn't mentioned as a supported os that maybe i could install a virtual machine on it that runs windows so that i would be able to install it, but since i have no actual hands on experience with the raspberry i wanted to check here first if it is at all possible. All the raspberry would do is keep this one program running in probably full screen mode so he can see them whenever he wants.

Thanks in advance and if someone knows/thinks of a better way to do this i wouldn't mind hearing about it either ofcourse

PS: I don't know if this is the correct section if not i'm sorry. (i'm a beginner so feels correct :) )

wh7qq

Re: Camera monitor

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:34 pm

There are lots of ways to do this with the RPi...just google "raspberry pi surveilance camera" and read up on all the different ways/packages. A direct hookup to the HDMI port on a TV is the simplest approach. Alternativelly, you can use a USB camera with fswebcam or a wide variety of other software...again, google is your friend: "raspberry pi usb camera" is a good starting search term. The nice thing about the RPi for these kind of applications is the low power consumption.

Check http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20101 ... ebcam.html
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

Jerren

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm reading about what you suggested as i type this but so far i'm finding people who attached a camera directly to the raspberry, create a camera wich has the raspberry in it and all of them use software or code that i know my friend won't know how to use (using a pc as is, is at times confusing/difficult to him).

Like i said he has camera's already in his network (besides the fact they are too far away to be connected via usb) he already is using the program recommended by the seller of said camera's.

So i don't need to build/buy a camera or find software to display what ip camera's display, what i need is a way to run the program he uses so he can view the images from the camera, effectively turning his tv into a camera monitor when switching to the correct hdmi output.

I found on this forum that running a virtual machine isn't possible because of the processor structure. So now i'm thinking maybe i can see if a pc in the house is capable of running a vm and keeping a remote desktop connection open from the raspberry to that vm. Although at that point i'm not sure if it wouldn't just be easier to buy the smallest windows pc i can find and hook that up to his tv.

Wich is why i'm asking my question here because i'm amazed at what people have thought up to do with this tiny device. So again if anyone has an idea or what might be a good course of action i'm open to suggestions.

wh7qq

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am

If your friend's other IP cameras are connected to his LAN, it would be very simple to access their web interfaces with an RPi connected to that LAN simply by running a browser on the RPi and addressing the camera's IPs with the RPi. Switching between them would be simple enough just by having several browser tabs up, each addressing a different IP camera address, but it would be necessary to have a pointing device like a wireless mouse or keyboard/touchpad to switch between the browser tabs. The RPi could be left connected to an HDMI port and the LAN. No need for VMs running the W$ software on the RPi. The native web interface of the IP cameras is all that is necessary. If it needs to be more complicated than that, then I don't understand what you are trying to do. Any LAN connected PC with HDMI or DVI output could do it but the Pi is nice for its very low power requirement and cost.

Jerren

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Just got back from my friend and apparently these ip cameras have no web interface or are atleast unable to be accessed via ip adress from a browser. I guess they only allow acces through the specific program they supply you with.

And yeah the low power consumption (and i think low noise) are the main reasons i wanted to use the Rpi and not a small pc but i'm starting to think i'm out of options now.

wh7qq

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Hard to imagine...even inexpensive IP cameras like foscam have a web interface. You might want to check up on that...what make and model. Look for the mfgr web page to check.

Jerren

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 am

Seems you are correct and i'm in luck even though the camera's are for some odd reason void of any type of branding (camera maker name that is). The seller has a user guide and they recommend internet explorer or safari to access it, if you want firefox or chrome you need to install quicktime, wich the pc i tested on didn't have so explains why those 2 browsers showed nothing.

I have learned more about ip camera's so i tip my hat to you kind person! I will try this tomorrow.

wh7qq

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:26 am

The cameras must have some sort of device or hardware ID or an FCC device ID on a label (bottom or side near connector) on the order of 01234:5678. . Put that into a google search and you should get the name of the mfgr. and the model. With that you should be able to get a web page for the mfgr. that may have a link to instructions. I would guess that even if they don't specify firefox or chrome functionality, that entering the camera's IP address in any browser address bar should access the web interface for the camera. The IP address of the camera can be found in the LAN router's device list. accessed by entering the router's IP address in the browser window if it is not prominently displayed on the device label with the default username and password. Most of these cameras run on a cut down Linux operating system and are pretty standard in their network functions.

RaTTuS

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:43 am

they will have a mp4 steam that is accessable via the ip address + port and username / password [or 2 streams]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jerren

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:00 pm

unfortunately no luck yet

I did find the user manual for the camera's online and it has instructions for everything they say you should do meaning detailed explanation for windows, android and ios. I also found (in the small print for some reason) that indeed they have a webserver in them that works with internet explorer 5 or higher and safari, if you want chrome or firefox then you need quicktime.

I tried explorer (version 11) and firefox after i installed quicktime and no luck either. I tried just the ip adress, ipadress:port (newtpro showed me port 80 so i tried that one). I expected a loginscreen to appear to enter the username and pasword wich we set for each camera but again no luck there.

I have now mailed the support guys from the camera's in hope they tell me how i can acces them through a browser.

Again thanks for teaching me more about IPcamera's.

wh7qq

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Please let us know who makes this thing so we can all avoid falling in to their trap.

Jerren

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 pm

I don't know if they make the camera's themselves but the firm that sells em is Kerbl. Here is a link to a camera my buddy has bought
http://www.kerbl.com/catalog/ShowArtike ... siteTyp=1#

So far i still haven't had a response to my email asking for help but i told my buddy to contact the people he knows in that firm in hopes that they can help him more. If i ever hear what it is that prevents the function i'll get back and post it so others know it too.

Jerren

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 am

So i asked my buddy if he had called already since he's been on vacation. Said he kinda forgot and has decided it's not worth the hassle since it's not a big deal to check on his phone instead (kinda makes me wonder why he didn't think of that in the first place but oh well).

I want to say thank you for all the help, i'm kinda sad i didn't get to use the Rpi or tinker around with it but i'm sure i'll find a reason use one in the future.

Return to “Beginners”