Windows goes nuts reading SD card after formatted by Noobs

8 posts
by CodeSlinger » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:11 pm
I'm having a problem trying to read anything off the SD card after it was formatted by Noobs. Windows 10 File Manager sorta goes nuts until the card reader is removed. Crashes and complains about bad drives that need to be scanned and fixed.

SDFormatter can't even recognize anything as the drop down stays grayed out while File Manager thrashes.

How can I get Windows to read the SD card again? Is this a Noobs problem? Related to unrecognized partition types or something foreign to FAT32 put there by Noobs? My USB SD reader?

I tried searching for this on the forums but the search would not allow me to mention the word Windows or a few other "too common" words so had no luck. Any tricks to getting this search engine to scan an intersection of all words including common words?

Thanks, Dave
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 pm
Once NOOBS does OS installs, the SD card has multiple non-FAT partitions that Windows can't see or read without third party software. If you don't mind losing any work you've done on the card, you should be able to use a camera to reformat it and then Windows should (again) be happy with it.

MS Windows suffers rather severely from "NIH" syndrome. (That's "Not Invented Here".)
by wh7qq » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:51 am
This forum's search engine is all but useless to me but to be fair, most forums have similar problems. Your best bet is to use google or another like "duck duck go" and include the words you want. You can put "+" in front of words you want or "-" for words you don't want to include. Google also has an "advanced" search engine that has all kinds of special filters and features to tailor your search.

Windows has always had a problem reading file formats other than their own. I don't use MS junkware so I can't advise on alternatives but you can use google to search for other file managers that will run on W$ that don't go non-linear when faced with an ext4 file system. Better yet, embrace linux and dump windows :roll:

As far as SDFormatter and your freaked-out W$...not sure what that is all about. I still keep an ancient XP Pro partition alive (network disabled for safety) for the sake of SDFormatter and it doesn't seem to have any problems...doesn't always work but a better alternative for you might be to install "gparted" on your new Raspbian OS with
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gparted
in a terminal window. Once installed, Gparted has a nice gui and you can wipe the old partitions out and install a FAT 32 partition or practically anything else on the entire card. Also, many linux "live" disks can be run from your W$ computer that have gparted already installed...just boot from DVD or USB stick. When finished, just pull out the DVD or USB stick and it will leave no footprints on your W$ machine. Better yet, leave it in and explore.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.
by KLL » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 am
wait....
now you understand the limitation of windows, it can not read SD cards fully if there are partitions on,
and pls not worry too much if windows want check and fix the card ( usually you can allow )

still this not means the card is bad,
so up to now i not see the need to format the card or delete partitions on it...

so tell us how the card works in the RPI?
+ see the noobs selection menu?
+ can select and boot raspbian?
+ desktop or headless ( putty / VNC ) ok?
by CodeSlinger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:52 pm
@WHH - thanks.
@wh7qq - wish rpo would upgrade their search engine. Thx for all the ideas. I will spin up an Ubuntu box for these sorts of things as my software will support most clients including pi3 with .NET Core under Linux and WinIoT and want other Linuxes anyway. I'm mostly Windows but do Linux also. Love Visual Studio, C# and Python and .NET Core framework classes.
@KLL - yes card works fine in the Pi3 "until" it is inserted back into Windows and then sometimes it gets corrupted. This should be considered a Windows bug and I will report it to them.

Please also report to M$FT if anyone else sees this problem.

I may switch to single OS/card systems. This unrecognized partition problem and not realizing the Pi does not especially like mSD or USB cards that are > 32G and I bought a couple of each to work with has caused some wasted time but at least learned some things not to do.

Thanks all
by jahboater » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:45 pm
CodeSlinger wrote: and not realizing the Pi does not especially like mSD or USB cards that are > 32G
Thats not true - the Pi is perfectly happy with any sized uSD card or USB disk, 64GB, 128GB, or more is never a problem.

If you insist on using NOOB's then you have to carefully format the card first, otherwise just install the image: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and forget about any such problems (prior formatting is simply not needed).
by drgeoff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:02 pm
CodeSlinger aka Don Quixote wrote:This should be considered a Windows bug and I will report it to them.
by CodeSlinger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 pm
I gave up on trying to use my desktop Windows and converted my older i3 laptop to Linux Mint 18.1 which is awesome. MUCH MUCH better and also fully supports > 32G USB and mSD devices using FAT32 which MSFT dropped in W2K I think. I did not report these three problems ( 1) unsupported partition types, 2) >32G FAT32, 3) File Manager going nuts in a crash loop) to Microsoft but did list them on one of their IoT forums. Hopefully MSFT adds better partition type support, or at least fixes the crash loop, but I'm not going to hold my breath...good luck all and thanks for suggesting to use Linux. I like Mint a lot!