ravewolf

Car project for a Super Super Super Newbie

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:23 am

Hi,hello,greetings to all.

I'm a super newb to arduino,and rasberry. I also have 0 programming experience. In fact,I dont own a rasberry pi yet(but plan on it very soon).

I also have decided to try to tackle a probably fruitless and impossible project for my car.

About me: I'm a 33 year old male gearhead who is obsessed with building an out of the box car. Right now I'm attempting to build a 1983 Toyota Corolla into a fire breathing,tire slaughtering, sleeper nightmare that will embarrass newer super cars like GTRs, Hellcats,and Demons. Because screw you detroit for trying to take away us hotrodders thunder by pumping out drag cars,and monster cars. No. You had your chance,now go back to sleep old man.

Anyway,what I want to do is create a custom gauge cluster using an Android Tablet on an engine that won't be running an OBD2 (On Board Diagnostic System Version 2,aka Check Engine Light) system. I'll be using a Chevrolet LS1 engine from whatever source I can find that won't leave my wallet a quivering,crying mess.

Normally, these engines come fuel injected,and have OBD2 built into the system. This is fine and dandy for a stock running vehicle. But considering I want to modify my car with a turbocharger, this will not do.

I can graft the stock system into my car,but then I have to send the ecu off to be modified,which is not cheap,and takes to long.

I can get an after market fuel injection system that will allow me to tune my car on the fly,but this costs anywhere from 1800 to 2500 for a decent system,and I still have to compensate for a larger fuel pump,and have to tune said system. No thanks. I can put that money elsewhere....like more beer for the shop.

Another option is to go carbureted with a conversion kit,and a special intake manifold. Thought not much cheaper,its easier to maintain,and not too much electronic stuff to worry about. Only problem with this is I lose OBD2. Why is this a problem? Normally,the little connector under the dash can be used with a blue tooth adapter to monitor all gauge functions in real time,and would be easy to adapt to and android tablet. In fact,there's already a program for that. It's called Torque.

So why go through all this trouble to build a system when one is already in place? Because like I said, using a carburetor is much easier,and much,much more simple. But I refuse to pay Autometer $1200 for a complete gauge setup that doesn't look how I want. Plus a custom android gauge cluster would be super fancy,and people appreciate super fancy.

So,that aside........where do I start?

I know I need to run wiring to sensors for all the gauges,then somehow mate them to a rasberry pi unit. I'm clueless on how to do this,or if it's even possible. But I've heard good things about these neat little computers,so I don't doubt it's possible.

Getting past the physical part, I realize I need to try to code a custom program to read the gauges. Also,no clue how to do this.

But I'm 1000% willing to learn, even if just for the sake of learning something new. But please,can anyone chime in? Thank you so much for your time.
Mods,if this is in the wrong spot,feel free to move it.

tl;dr: I want to build a custom gauge cluster out of an Android Tablet using rasberry pi,and some hopes and dreams.

B.Goode

Re: Super Super Super Newbie

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:09 am

Welcome to the forums.
...where do I start?

I know I need to run wiring to sensors for all the gauges,then somehow mate them to a rasberry pi unit. I'm clueless on how to do this,or if it's even possible. But I've heard good things about these neat little computers,so I don't doubt it's possible.
First, if you haven't done it already you will need an Operating System installed and running on your RPi. https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/hardware-guide/

Then use that as a learning platform to start with baby steps towards understanding​ how to connect and use various sensors and outputs with a tutorial like this: https://learning.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -computing

Once you have done that you should have some idea of what is possible and how to combine various sensors to meet your own requirements.

Later, there are software toolkits that will allow you to remote control your RPi from an app on a tablet, or from a web browser. I suggest concentrating on direct control from the RPi itself in the first instance.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 am

I don't think you'll be doing this with Scratch....so moved to Beginners.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

drgeoff

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:25 pm

It is not impossible for someone who knows what he or she is doing but I don't think you'll be doing it this side of Christmas. I won't specify which year. :(

Instead of spending all the time it would take to learn enough electronics and programming, get a part time job at McDonalds or wherever and earn the $1200 and buy the ready to go item. :)

Return to “Beginners”