soundmagus

Remote controlling Rasperry Pi

Sun May 14, 2017 7:30 am

Hi there,

I am about to receive my first rasp pi (3) and have a specific use for it in mind but am unsure as to wether or not this can be done so any help would b most appreciated.

I will be using the pi with Linux and installing Subsonic to use it as a music player round the house.

I will be attaching external HDD via Ethernet which holds all my music and was wondering if there is any way to control the player using a remote control so I don't need to select music using a mouse through a connection to my main pc, is this possible?

Many thanks,

Mark

topguy

Re: Remote controlling Rasperry Pi

Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 pm

The number of ways to control subsonic is quite staggering : http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp

But..
.. correct me if I'm wrong.. subsonic is a media server. If you are going to play music "around the house" then there has to be players (subsonic clients) placed around the house that fetches music from the server. Then its those players that you want to remotely control, not the server.

soundmagus

Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 am

Hi thanks for this.

The Rasp Pi will be the media server. I will then have that hooked up to my External Soundcard.

I am looking for a remote to control the Subsonic player on the Pi.

I dont need a different player in other parts of the house as the house is wired up with speakers set to my main system, but it will mainly be for me to control from the garden when i am having BBQ etc.

TBH i think the only problem i have is getting my External NAS drive hooked up to my RPI via Ethernet.

Thanks

Mark

Severian

Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 am

Howdy,
I think you will be having the NAS and the Pi running all the time. Assuming you NAS supports CIFS(sometimes called Samba), I would just create a mountpoint in the filesystem and add a line to /etc/fstab to mount the NAS. Then, all your media is just like any file on the Pi. That is how I'd do it, but there are several approaches. I usually create a bash script to mount the NAS that checks to see if the mount is active and remounts it, if needed. You can run that in a cron job, or manually as needed.
Good luck.
p.s., the NAS could be mounted on the Pi with other protocols, such as NFS, but I suggest CIFS because virtually all NASs support CIFS out of the box.

soundmagus

Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Severian,

That sounds like more what i am after, yes the NAS will on non stop as will the Pi however most of what you have said is GREEK to me lol - i am very new to both Pi and Linux and am currently ploughing my way through books and tutorials learning both.

Your idea seems to fit what i "think" i need so i will en-devour to learn that which is required to implement it.

Many thanks

Mark

benras

Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 pm

I run Slimserver on the Pi and control it with either my PC, via the web page, or my iPhone, via the Slimserver app.

Severian

Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 am

soundmagus wrote:Hi Severian,
Your idea seems to fit what i "think" i need so i will en-devour to learn that which is required to implement it.
Mark
These steps should all be good learning opportunities, if you are trying to learn Linux. I think of them all as pretty basic, but I have been using Linux quite a while. I'll also say there are a variety of ways to do this, and this is the way I'd do it. But, I don't see other approaches as necessarily wrong, as long as they are obvious and maintainable. If you have any simple questions, please come back and ask. Probably the trickiest piece of my setup is the fstab line to mount the CIFS share. If you give me some details on your share, I'll try to give you the fstab entry. Don't post your password, just put the word password(hopefully, that is not your password). I'd probably not post the real server name, either. Or, maybe you identify the server by its IP address.

Return to “Beginners”