cbeach512

Interfacing through the MicroUSB port?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 am

I searched for this on the forum... so I'm not very hopeful that this is even possible. Is there a way to interface with the Raspberry Pi through it's MicroUSB port? I'm guessing the only pins that are connected are the power related ones. It would be great if while getting power from my computer, I could also run a terminal session on it from my laptop. I am currently running Arch Linux ARM from this link if that helps. Thanks for any advice anyone can give, even if it is that this is impossible! It will help me not waist any time trying to figure it out.

felix123

Re: Interfacing through the MicroUSB port?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 am

You're right. Only the power pins are connected so this is not possible.

ghans

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:48 am

You can still connect your Laptop directly to the Pi via ethernet.
The Pi has auto-sensing , so you don't even need a special crossover cable.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

cbeach512

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:34 am

ghans wrote:You can still connect your Laptop directly to the Pi via ethernet.
The Pi has auto-sensing , so you don't even need a special crossover cable.

ghans
The problem I was having was that I had nowhere to connect it to a monitor, and no network to connect it to, and was set to DHCP so it wouldn't have any IP for me to SSH into. I was hoping there was some way to connect to it like a terminal though the usb, but there isn't. It was really some poor planning on my part before I went on that trip. I guess I'm used to staying at places that have TVs with HDMI ports I can connect to. This wasn't the case that night in the B&B I was staying in!

ghans

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 am

I think you misunderstood me. This setup works even if you have no internet.
You don't even need a (W)LAN. You just need to set up a dhcp server on your lappy.
Or Internet Connection Sharing under Windows.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

cbeach512

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 am

ghans wrote:I think you misunderstood me. This setup works even if you have no internet.
You don't even need a (W)LAN. You just need to set up a dhcp server on your lappy.
Or Internet Connection Sharing under Windows.

ghans
No misunderstanding, just looking for a different way. Didn't want to setup DHCP on my computer.

Return to “Beginners”