jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: How do you update your Raspbian ?

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 am

I'm happy to review/merge PR's on the documentation (It's actually officially part of my job) - it's pretty easy to fork the docs repo, make changes in solely in github, and PR then to us. If you see something you thing needs updating, go for it!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 am

DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:I would have opened with something that said there is no need to manually update the kernel as it happens automatically with the regular raspbian updates.

PeterO
Good idea. Will put that in tomorrow. If I remember. Or you can send a PR based on the draft, I think.....
I thought you needed both raspberrypi-kernel and raspberrypi-bootloader packages to revert from an rpi-update.
I'm not sure - I've not changed that part of the doc, just done a slight reformat. I'll try and find out.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:30 am

jamesh wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
I thought you needed both raspberrypi-kernel and raspberrypi-bootloader packages to revert from an rpi-update.
I'm not sure - I've not changed that part of the doc, just done a slight reformat. I'll try and find out.
I've checked - yes you do need both - thanks for the heads up. Docs updated.

bensimmo

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 am

jamesh wrote:I'm happy to review/merge PR's on the documentation (It's actually officially part of my job) - it's pretty easy to fork the docs repo, make changes in solely in github, and PR then to us. If you see something you thing needs updating, go for it!
I know, I've seen you working on a lot of them.

I've just managed to get to the creating an 'issue' part on github.
Maybe a nice tutorial (for MagPi? ) on using github? Don't think I've seen one since we started subscribing (about a year and a half by the count of our Pi Zero's )

PeterO

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am

bensimmo wrote:Maybe a nice tutorial (for MagPi? ) on using github? Don't think I've seen one since we started subscribing (about a year and a half by the count of our Pi Zero's )
I've tried several times to get involved with projects on Github, and never quite managed to work out the process. All the tutorials I've read seem to miss one or two vital steps at some point or other. The last one I followed showed how to fork a repo, make local branches to work in etc etc but then just ended with: "Now make changes to the code and submit PRs" with no instructions how to do that ! I just find trying to use github to be frustrating.
A MagPi article would be great, as long as covers the whole process and it assumes NO previous knowledge :-) I'm sure it's not difficult, just I've not yet found a comprehensible process description.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

gets.chomp

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

bensimmo wrote:Here is the official one I know of
As a side, you should mention 'autoclean' as it will be mentioned to the user while updating at some point.
Is it best to use autoclean or clean if one cleans up after every update because of a small SD card ?

jamesh

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 pm

PeterO wrote:
bensimmo wrote:Maybe a nice tutorial (for MagPi? ) on using github? Don't think I've seen one since we started subscribing (about a year and a half by the count of our Pi Zero's )
I've tried several times to get involved with projects on Github, and never quite managed to work out the process. All the tutorials I've read seem to miss one or two vital steps at some point or other. The last one I followed showed how to fork a repo, make local branches to work in etc etc but then just ended with: "Now make changes to the code and submit PRs" with no instructions how to do that ! I just find trying to use github to be frustrating.
A MagPi article would be great, as long as covers the whole process and it assumes NO previous knowledge :-) I'm sure it's not difficult, just I've not yet found a comprehensible process description.

PeterO
I've just knocked this up - any help?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... -github.md

bensimmo

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:40 pm

gets.chomp wrote:
bensimmo wrote:Here is the official one I know of
As a side, you should mention 'autoclean' as it will be mentioned to the user while updating at some point.
Is it best to use autoclean or clean if one cleans up after every update because of a small SD card ?
I'm not the best to ask, i only ever use clean if things are not going well and then after lots of faffing.

I mentioned autoclean as it tells you, often after some big updates, that there are unused files now (list them) and use 'autoclean' to clean it up.
As far as i know, it only removes the stuff that is no longer used.
There's some link above to apt to read about it, read them and make you own mind up :-).

rpdom

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 pm

bensimmo wrote:I mentioned autoclean as it tells you, often after some big updates, that there are unused files now (list them) and use 'autoclean' to clean it up.
There's some link above to apt to read about it, read them and make you own mind up :-).
Isn't that autoremove?

AIUI autoclean just deletes obsolete files, while clean deletes all files from the package download directory.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

bensimmo

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 pm

rpdom wrote:
bensimmo wrote:I mentioned autoclean as it tells you, often after some big updates, that there are unused files now (list them) and use 'autoclean' to clean it up.
Isn't that autoremove?

AIUI autoclean just deletes obsolete files, while clean deletes all files from the package download directory.
Ah yes, autoremove!
That's the one i was typing in my head. I only mentioned it as it appears when updating sometimes (so could be in a notes: section)

Clean/autoclean do not and they could be placed under the file space section at the end.

Anyway to answer the OPs question (title) I;
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Then
If it says autoremove I
sudo apt-get autoremove

If anything is held back/not updated I
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Then reboot if it looked like anything important.

Return to “Beginners”