6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: GPU & CPU Temp in Fahrenheit

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 am

/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp is provided by the Linux kernel.
Feel free to upstream the required changes, and they will then filter back down to Raspbian. At that point there would be reconsideration on returning the GPU temperature in Fahrenheit from vcgencmd.

Whether the temperature monitor or other application that displays the temperature should offer a reading in Fahrenheit is a totally different question.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

root_no_sudo_here

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:34 pm

Again old, but simply a bit to add (pun intended).

Well aware everything is in C, what I could use is a little jog to remember "what's that in the temperature I'm bombarded with daily, again?".

With a pi 4G that I'm prepping to hammer on extensively - overclock, overwork, I need to run a cron job that sends me an email when the heat goes up before it melts. Hoping the dual fan case off amazon helps keep the heat down.

This thing was a PIA just to get a USB3 hard drive to boot.

The provided script was a great starting point for me to get where I need to go, many, many thanks (I jerked w/warty bash for an hour or two before finding this thread)!

FYI: Zoneminder with a 1/2 dozen Zero Ws blasting rtsp/h264, not even sure 2Gx4 cpu's are going to work - gotta try the new stuff ;)

BluPI2

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:29 am

Umm, i'm from the USA, and I've been working with computers for over 20 years. We have ALWAYS measured CPU temperatures in Celsius and so have the X86 CPU manufacturers AMD and Intel. They always list Max Operating Temperatures in Celsius. Motherboard and CPU Temperatures in BIOS/UEFI are listed in Celcius by default. I can't understand why the temperature would ever need to be in F.

There is a limit, do not exceed that limit. Does it matter if that limit is F or C? I can't think of a reason.
Just seems like a non-issue to me. Scratches Head...

Celcius is the de facto standard in the computer world no matter where you are from.
Proud Owner of a Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate

DougieLawson

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:37 am

BluPI2 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:29 am

Celcius is the de facto ISO standard
for ambient temperatures in the computer world no matter where you are from.
FTFY, you're welcome. (Don't complain about other temp scales like Kelvins.)

It's also trivial to do the maths to convert from Celsius to Mr. Fahrenheit's awkward scale.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Beginners”